Roundtable: Who should be the NFL MVP?

Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan arrives from behind a curtain to take part in a media availability for the NFL Super Bowl 51 football game Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2017, in Houston. Atlanta will face New England Patriots in the Super Bowl Sunday.  Two of our writers have cast their vote for Ryan as MVP. (Curtis Compton/AP)

With the 2017 NFL Honors ceremony set to air this Saturday, one of the most debated awards has been Most Valuable Player. There isn’t a clear winner this year like quarterback Cam Newton was last season, so strong cases have been made for a couple different players. Our staff batted around the same question for this week’s roundtable: who should be the NFL MVP?

Shahan Kamal, Campus Correspondent

If the postseason were taken into consideration, I would give the award to Matt Ryan. He’s been the best quarterback in the league this year, only getting better in the postseason. He treated Seattle like a third team scout defense, especially on third downs. The postseason isn’t part of this award, however, so I’m going to give it to Aaron Rodgers. He literally put the team on his back over the long run, and tore apart every secondary after his claim to run the table. The Packers were sitting at a lowly four wins after ten games, and Rodgers went the rest of the season without throwing an interception or losing a game. He lost a lot of weapons and although Tom Brady was also fantastic, I’ll give it to Rodgers on the basis that he didn’t have an elite defense behind him.

Connor Donahue, Campus Correspondent

The MVP award belongs to Tom Brady. You know it, I know it, Roger Goodell knows it. I understand it seems crazy to give the award to someone to didn’t play a full season, but look what he did in twelve games! Brady went 11-1 while throwing for 28 touchdowns and just two interceptions, which just happens to be the best touchdown-to-interception ratio in NFL history. Brady dominated every single game and led his team to the AFC’s first overall playoff seed and a bye. That’s what an MVP does.

Matthew Kren, Staff Writer

The idea of giving the Most Valuable Player award to a player who only played in 12 games is lunacy as his body of work is incomplete. The answer for who wins the MVP this season has to be Matt Ryan, as playoffs aside; he had a remarkable regular season where he threw 38 touchdowns and only seven interceptions. Ryan was at the helm of one of the most prolific offenses of this decade and has helped remove the Falcons from the shadow of the Saints and the Panthers. The former Boston College quarterback has followed one, if not his worst season in his career, with a legendary 16 game performance that has a chance to end with a Super Bowl trophy.

Andrew Morrison, Staff Writer

As I scan the list of potential MVPs this season, a pattern arises: quarterback, quarterback, quarterback, and so on. Let’s keep in mind that it’s never been easier, given the rules in place and talent of receivers, to pass the football. That’s what makes the season that David Johnson had even more astounding. He had 15 straight games this season of at least 100 total yards of offense, averaging 4.2 yards per carry and 11 yards per reception. Johnson became the first player since 2006 to have 2000 yards from scrimmage and 20 touchdowns. This all comes, by the way, on an incompetent Cardinals team that completely imploded around him. He is simply the most dynamic and dangerous running back in the NFL. His chances will ultimately be killed by his team’s struggles, but no one is more deserving than Johnson.

Shahan Kamal is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at shahan.kamal@uconn.edu.

Connor Donahue is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets @conn_donahue

Matt Kren is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women’s basketball. He can be reached via email at matthew.kren@uconn.edu.

Andrew Morrison is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.morrison@uconn.edu. He tweets at @asmor24