Former Huskies receiving Hall of Fame honors

FILE - In this Jan. 16, 1995, file photo, Connecticut's Rebecca Lobo (50) pulls in a rebound as Tennessee's Abby Conklin (52) and Tiffani Johnson, right, defend during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game in Storrs, Conn., Monday, Jan. 16, 1995. Lobo is among the 14 finalists unveiled Saturday, Feb. 18, 2017, for this year's Basketball Hall of Fame induction class. (AP Photo/Bob Child, File)

A number of past and present members of the UConn basketball community are being honored for their work throughout the years.

Rebecca Lobo, a former women’s basketball player at the University of Connecticut, has been named a finalist for election into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. In Lobo’s four-year career in Storrs from 1991 to 1995, she averaged 17 points and 10 rebounds. In her senior season, she led UConn to a 35-0 record and their first national championship. That same year, she earned NCAA Final Four Most Outstanding Player, AP Female Athlete of the Year, the Wade Trophy, the Naismith Award, WBCA National Player of the Year and USBWA National Player of the Year.

Lobo earned an Olympic gold medal for women’s basketball in 1996 before going on to play for six years in the WNBA. She is currently an analyst for ESPN covering women’s college basketball and the WNBA.

Joining Lobo as finalists are players Tim Hardaway, Tracy McGrady, Sidney Moncrief and Chris Webber; Coaches Robert Hughes, Rollie Massimino, Bo Ryan, Bill Self and Rudy Tomjanovich and referee Hugh Evans. From the women’s side: Coaches Muffet McGraw and Kim Mulkey and the Wayland Baptist Team.

Fellow former Husky Kara Wolters is being inducted into the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame. The 6’7” former center is the tallest player in UConn WBB history and one of the tallest to ever play in the WNBA. Wolters played in Storrs from 1993 to 1997, she was part of the 35-0 team lead by Lobo, and went 132-8 over her 140 total games at UConn. She finished her career as Connecticut’s all-time leading rebounder (1286) and shot blocker (396). Wolters is one of only nine women to receive a gold medal in the Olympics, an NCAA championship and a WNBA championship.

On the men’s side, the Basketball Hall of Fame has named Donald “Dee” Rowe the 2017 John Bunn Lifetime Achievement winner. Rowe, generally considered the “father” of UConn basketball, was the head coach from 1969 to 1977. He assisted in the search to find legendary Coaches Jim Calhoun and Geno Auriemma. Rowe was an assistant men’s basketball coach on the 1980 Olympic team. He served in the UConn athletic department for 48 years.

Connor Donahue is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering men’s ice hockey. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets @conn_donahue.