Kyrie Irving, NBA conspiracy theorist

Cleveland Cavaliers' Kyrie Irving, left, keeps an eye on Minnesota Timberwolves' Kris Dunn during the second half of an NBA basketball game Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2017, in Minneapolis. The Cavaliers won 116-108. Irving and LeBron James each scored 25 points to lead their team in scoring. (AP Photo/Jim Mone)

One of the craziest, most “out there” conspiracy theories I’ve ever heard is the “Flat Earth Theory.” People still believe, in 2017, that the earth is not round like we were all taught in elementary school, but rather is flat like a map. It just turns out that a couple of these people are NBA players.

It started when Cleveland Cavaliers’ guard Kyrie Irving went on the “Road Trippin’ with RJ and Channing” podcast, a show hosted by his teammates, Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye. The guys were joking around, discussing fake names they use to check into hotel rooms, Mario Kart and the All-Star Game.

Then the subject of conspiracy theories came up, and that’s when Irving expressed his belief that the Earth is indeed flat, and not round.

“Can you really think of us rotating around the sun, and all planets align, rotating in specific dates, being perpendicular with what’s going on with these planets and stuff like this?” Irving asked.

Irving went on to talk about how he believes that aliens exist and have visited Earth, that the moon landing was fake and that dinosaurs never existed. You can listen to the podcast on iTunes. I am not making any of this up.

“Everything that was particularly thrown in front of me [in school]...it was all a façade, something that they ultimately want me to believe in,” Irving said.

When asked about this in another interview later, Irving doubled down on his belief, saying that people should research the subject for themselves and come to their own conclusions.

This past weekend was the NBA All-Star Weekend, where all of the top stars in basketball congregate on one city. Naturally, most of the national NBA media followed the players to New Orleans.

They had pretty much all heard the podcast, so they asked some other NBA players that were gathered in the city what they thought of Irving’s conspiracies. Warriors’ forward Draymond Green was one player asked about his thoughts on the shape of the earth.

“I don’t know,” Green said. “I haven’t done enough research, but it may be flat.”

If you’re counting along at home, that is two NBA players that have admitted to not knowing if the Earth is round.

Other NBA players gave credence to the idea that Irving truly believes the Earth isn’t flat. When asked about the subject, Jimmy Butler said “That’s Kyrie for you, man,” and “You know, you just gotta let Kyrie be Kyrie.”

Even Irving’s superstar teammate LeBron James weighed in on the subject. “Kyrie’s an interesting guy, man,” James said. “He believes it.”

When pressed further on the subject, Irving did end up backing down a little, alluding to “fake news” and the fact that people will believe anything that is put in front of them by a news source, but he didn’t outright deny that he thought the Earth was flat either.

So, there is some doubt cast on whether or not Irving definitely believes in the flat earth theory after all. However, there is absolutely no doubt that the earth is round, and in fact not flat.

Luke Swanson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus.  He can be reached via email at luke.swanson@uconn.edu.