UConn School of Nursing receives scholarship grant

The UConn school of nursing receives scholarship grant, locating near the mirror lake in the Storrs campus. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut School of Nursing was recently chosen as one of only 28 schools nationwide to receive a $15,000 grant to increase the number of nurses with doctorates.

Per this grant, UConn’s School of Nursing will receive assistance from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s Future of Nursing Scholars program, which will provide support, mentoring and leadership development to nurses who commit to earn their doctorates in three years, according to a UConn Today article.

“These nurses will complete their doctorates in three years, a much quicker progression than is typically seen in nursing PhD programs,” co-director of the Future of Nursing Scholars program Julie Fairman said.

“The Future of Nursing Scholars Program is creating a diverse cadre of Ph.D. prepared nurses who are committed to a long-term leadership career; advancing science and discovery through research; strengthening nursing education; and furthering transformational change in nursing and health care,” according to the program’s official website.

This is the second time UConn has received this scholarship funding, according to the UConn Today article. Two scholars are currently enrolled, and UConn will select additional students in

April who will begin the program this summer and doctoral studies in the fall.

The National Institute of Medicine recently stated in a nursing report the country should double the number of nurses with doctorates. Doing so will prepare and enable nurses to lead change to advance health, promote nurse-led science and discovery and put more educators in place to prepare the next generation of nurses, according to the report.

The Future of Nursing Scholars program shares this sentiment, stating “PhD-prepared nurse scientists and researchers are in an optimal position to seek and identify solutions to serious problems that make a difference in the lives of patients and families. Their discoveries have the potential to change our health care system.”

The program hopes to increase the number of nurses with Ph.D. degrees, a number that currently stands at one percent of nurses, according to the website.

“To meet the demand for a larger, more diverse cadre of nurse faculty, nurse scientists and nurse leaders, the number of Ph.D.-prepared nurses needs to grow substantially in diversity as well as number,” the website said.

The Future of Nursing Scholars Program is supported by companies and organizations such as Johnson & Johnson, Northwell Health, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center and Care Institute Group.

The 51 nurses supported by this new funding will join the 109 scholars across the three previous cohorts, according to the article.

Gabriella Debenedictis is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.