Chuck’s Margarita Grill perfect restaurant for National Margarita Day

Guacamole, chicken tenders and quesadillas can all be purchased for a decent price at Chuck's Margarita grill which is located about ten minutes from campus. (Angie DeRosa/The Daily Campus)

Today is National Margarita Day  and what better way to honor National Margarita Day than to enjoy a meal at Chuck’s Margarita Grill, a Tex-Mex style restaurant that serves renowned margaritas and plenty of food that complements the Mexican cocktail very well.

Chuck’s, which has three restaurants statewide, is just a short 10-minute drive from campus, located at 1498 Stafford Rd. in Storrs, CT. Although that may be a bit of inconvenience for students without a car or other transportation, it’s not too far and is a nice place to go if you’re looking for something new after trying out most of the restaurants around Storrs Center.

Since my friends and I went around 4:00 p.m., we were mostly looking to eat some light appetizers so we decided our favorites and got a portion of each to try it out. For my first bite, I went with the shrimp and corn quesadilla, which has an option of chicken instead of shrimp. The dish costs $11.50 and had a nice layer of melted cheese that made the quesadilla taste great without being too thick, for a decent price.

My friends and I also got the chipotle chicken tenders which were cooked to crispy perfection and had the right amount of sauce, which tasted incredible. It had a mildly spicy kick to it that maintained all the flavor and got better with each bite. The chicken tenders were my personal favorite meal at Chuck’s and went for $8.50, a pretty good deal for a college student’s budget.

For our of age readers, Chuck's offers many tasty and reasonably priced margaritas. (Angie DeRosa/The Daily Campus)

We also got guacamole de la casa, which is a plate filled with freshly made guacamole along with crisp tostadas for dipping. Their guacamole was fantastic, and far better than a lot of other places that I’ve been to. It’s definitely better than both Moe’s and Chipotle guacamole, that’s for sure. And for only $5.95, you get quite a bit and it goes extremely well with those crisp tostadas, or just the regular complementary chips as a great appetizer.

Another plus is that the service was actually pretty good and the food came rather quickly after ordering, and of course, they regularly served complementary chips and salsa, which were too good to pass up when we got a new basket. For our of-age readers, I hear the margaritas at Chuck’s are pretty good too with a variety of flavors ranging from peach to pomegranate and more, so you should absolutely stop by tonight on National Margarita Day if you have the chance.

All in all I have to give Chuck’s Margarita Grill a four out of five stars. It’s got pretty much everything I love. Guacamole, chicken tenders, quesadillas and it’s all for a decent price. As usual with some good restaurants, you do have to drive a bit to get there, but it’s definitely worth the try, especially on a pretty warm February day like it is today. Go and check it out for yourself.

Chris Hanna is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.