Rainbow Cinema film was Better than Chocolate

Students enjoyed a film illustrating a story of love and acceptance, “Better Than Chocolate,” at the Rainbow Center on Tuesday evening.

Several audience members expressed relief that the movie was mostly light-hearted, with no deaths and a happy ending, as opposed to some Rainbow Cinema movies that have had more somber plots.

The movie focuses on its main character Maggie, who dropped out of college to work at an LGBT+ bookstore in Vancouver. Her independence quickly comes to an unwanted halt when her mother and younger brother move in with her after her mother and stepfather divorce.

Maggie has already fallen for a young artist, Kim, when she learns of her new roommates. She tells her mother, Lila, that Kim is just a friend because she feels she must hide her lesbian identity from her traditional family, which eventually becomes a hurtful lie for Kim.

The relationship that develops between Lila and and Maggie’s transgender friend Judy is an important piece to the film. Although initially Lila is unaware of Judy’s status as a transgender woman, it is revealed at the end of the film and is an important piece to Lila’s acceptance of Maggie as a lesbian.

The audience came to an agreement that Judy is a powerful character in “Better Than Chocolate.” She acted as a supportive and positive friend to all characters while simultaneously struggling with her romantic life and unacceptance and disgust from her parents and members of the community.  “The whole Judy character felt really real,” said fourth semester moviegoer Noah Elizabeth Ayrton. “She was so nice and sweet and gorgeous and still had to deal all of this weight pushing down on her.”

Maggie and her co-workers at Ten Percent Books struggle to run their shop because of hate and prejudice throughout the movie. At one point, customs confiscates books that they ordered about sex, deeming them unacceptable despite the fact that they are not illegal. In another scene, Maggie must scrub spray paint that reads “Die Dyke Die” off of the sidewalk outside of the bookstore.

The end of the movie is satisfying because all characters come together and meet one another’s basic needs of love and support. Judy’s long-time love interest finally confesses her love for Judy, Lila supports Kim and Maggie’s relationship and Kim forgives Maggie for hiding their love from her family for so long.

The moviegoers enjoyed popcorn, cookies, and soda and did not hesitate to shout out comments and reactions during funny and tense scenes. “I like being able to get together in a room full of people and watch movies that aren’t necessarily always seen by mainstream viewers,” Ayrton said.

Sarah Maddox is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at sarah.maddox@uconn.edu.