UConn women’s lacrosse faces UNH on Sunday

UConn women's lacrosse team loses to Boston College during home opener 14-11 on Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2017 at George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team is set to face the University of New Hampshire (0-2) on Sunday Feb. 26 at 1 p.m.

So far this season the Huskies are 1-2.

UConn most recently lost to Boston College, 14-11, on Wednesday. Freshman goalkeeper Grace Beshlian had a career-high of 14 saves in the contest.

UNH is coming off an 18-8 loss to Dartmouth at home.

The players to watch for UNH are junior attacker Krissy Schafer and junior goalkeeper Kate Clancy. In Wednesday’s 18-8 loss to Dartmouth, Schaefer had three goals. Last season, she started all 17 games and led the team in goals with 26. Goalkeeper Kate Clancy also started all 17 games last season and recorded 10 saves in Wednesday’s match including seven in the first half.

UNH’s head coach Sarah Albrecht comes from a strong background in lacrosse experience. Albrecht spent seven years on the U.S. women’s national senior team, earning two selections to the all-world team. The Wildcats are 25-42 since she took over in 2012.

The last time these two teams played each other was Feb. 27 last year when UConn won 13-7.

A player to watch for UConn is senior attacker Jacqueline Jordan. Jordan led the team with a hat trick and an assist in Wednesday’s loss to Boston College.

Another player to watch is junior attacker Grace Nolan. Nolan was named the Big East Conference Attacker of the Week on Feb. 21 after a seven-point performance in UConn’s season opener at Fairfield. Last season, Nolan was named to the IWCLA All-Northeast First Team and was a unanimous selection to the All-Big East First Team. She also led the team in points.
Sunday’s game will be at the George G. Sherman Family Sports Complex in Storrs, CT.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.