Album Review: ‘All Your Fault Pt. 1’

Bebe Rexha performing live at Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles California on Friday April 8th, 2016. Bebe opened for Ellie Goulding on her "Delirium" world tour. (Justin Higuchi/Creative Commons Flickr)

For the release of her debut album, Bebe Rexha has decided to take an unconventional approach: the album will be released in two parts, the first of which was released this past week on Feb. 17. The second half of the album is expected to release in April 2017. You might know her as the vocalist on G-Eazy’s “Me, Myself, & I” and on Martin Garrix’s “In The Name Of Love,” but now she’s here to make a name for her own.

Rexha has come storming into the pop scene as a solo artist, but not before hopping onto different collaborations with other artists as she found her way. Bebe’s jump into the spotlight was in 2013 when she provided the vocals for Cash Cash’s smash hit “Take Me Home.” With that song, Rexha had stuck her foot in the door. “I Don’t Wanna Grow Up,” Rexha’s 2015 EP, showed her capability to be a solo artist, but none of the songs managed to chart anywhere; it wasn’t until Rexha released “I Got You,” the lead single of her new album, that she began getting recognition for her ability to be a solo artist. As a whole, “All Your Fault Pt. 1” is a great combination of songs and gives us an exciting taste of what’s to come from the full album.

The first track is “Atmosphere,” which at first I didn’t pay much mind to, but after a few listens it grew on me. The production is really good, but there’s not much to the song, and that’s what works so well. It’s a perfect opening song, chill and lyric heavy that gets you in the mood for the more upbeat songs later on. Although this song is a great start to the album, a it is easily overshadowed by the others.

The second song is Rexha’s first single, “I Got You.” This song immediately catches you, and it’s obvious why she chose this one as her lead single. It’s arguably the best song on the EP (although it’s a close call), and for good reason. Currently, the song has climbed the Billboard’s Hot 100 to No. 53 and counting. The production is fantastic and showcases Rexha’s voice very well. This one has been on my Spotify playlist since it was released back in October, and I’m so glad it’s getting some love.

The third track is “Small Doses,” which follows “Atmosphere” on the list of songs I didn’t pay much attention to at first listen. The song starts off really slow, but it immediately picks up in the chorus. It carries more punch than “Atmosphere,” but it doesn’t really hit the height of “I Got You.” Nonetheless, it fits the style of the EP perfectly.

The fourth song off of the EP is my personal favorite: “F.F.F.,” which stands for “F—k Fake Friends.” Rexha calls in rapper and past collaborator G-Eazy to kill some verses for her. The two had previously appeared on G-Eazy’s 2015 hit “Me, Myself, & I,” which peaked at No. 7 on Billboard’s Hot 100. Now, they’re back for a perfect song with a perfect message: get those fake people out of your life.

The fifth and second to last track is “Gateway Drug.” Very reminiscent, in theme, of Kesha’s “Your Love Is My Drug” and Rihanna’s “Diamonds,” “Gateway Drug” is a story about getting a taste for someone and then wanting more and more, all against an electropop background. It’s fun and catchy, definitely one of the stronger songs off of the EP.

The final song is “Bad Bitch,” which features rapper Ty Dolla $ign. This one has as much power and production as “F.F.F.,” and while it doesn’t reach the full extent that “F.F.F.” achieves, it wraps up the entire EP nicely and leaves you wanting more.

Rexha has just given us a taste of what she has in store for us in 2017. “All Your Fault Pt. 1” has not disappointed, and now we have to wait two months for a complete album, but for Rexha, the wait is worth it.

Ryan Amato is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ryan.amato@uconn.edu.