Lacrosse: Huskies get first home victory over UNH

Senior midfielder Sarah Smith (#33) carries the ball. The women's lacrosse team took on the UNH Wildcats on Sunday afternoon. Keeping a steady lead throughout the game, the Huskies won with a final score of 13-9. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team (2-2) squeaked by New Hampshire (0-3) by a 13-9 score Sunday at Sherman Family Complex.

UNH opened up the scoring in the first half with a goal by senior Marissa Gurello. The Huskies answered with a three-goal run, with Sarah Smith scoring one and Grace Nolan scoring two. UConn continued to dominate offensively in the first half with goals from Molly O’Reilly, Jacqueline Jordan, Kelsey Catalano (who scored three) and Nolan to close the half up 9-4.

The Wildcats put pressure on the Huskies in the second half outscoring UConn 5-4. UConn was up 13-5 with 5:58 left in the game. UNH scored four unanswered goals to finish the game, but came up short in the end.

UConn was led yet again by Nolan, who finished with five goals and three assists. Junior defender Cassie Ekstrom anchored the defense with five ground balls and a caused turnover. Freshman goalkeeper Grace Beshlian had another strong performance, totaling nine saves in the victory.

UNH was looking for their first win of the season. Junior attacker Krissy Schafer tallied four goals for the Wildcats and junior midfielder Devan Miller added two goals and three assists. Junior goalkeeper Kate Clancy added five saves in the loss.

UConn Head Coach Katie Woods reflected on the hard-earned win after a tough loss to Boston College last week.

“Our goal coming into the game was to control the pace. I thought that we did a good job of that. I think that we still have to finish a game. The last 10, 15 minutes we just made silly decisions and momentum started to shift towards UNH. Thankfully we had enough cushion that it didn’t cost us the game,” Woods said.

UConn faces a tough UMass team March 5 in Amherst, Mass.

Coach Woods will take the victory Sunday against UNH, but hopes to improve against UMass.

“Our stick work needs to be better. No only setting each other up for a little more success, but individually we have to handle any ball that comes our way. We are still working through that. Our urgency today could have been better and against Mass it has to be. UMass is a strong team and if we are not urgent they are going to take advantage of that,” Woods said.

Sophia Ross is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can reached via email at sophia.ross@uconn.edu.