Lacrosse: Nolan shines against UNH as team grows

Grace Nolan (#10) runs through a group of UNH defenders in the Huskies' victory. Nolan had five goals and three assists on the day. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team (2-2) beat the UNH Wildcats (0-3) 13-9 on Sunday on their home field at Sherman Family Complex.

Leading the way for the Huskies was junior attacker Grace Nolan, who had five goals and three assists in the game.

“I thought she did well today. I think she had a tough game against Boston College; it’s good to have her come back,” head coach Katie Woods said of Nolan. “She was a little bit more of a threat, which is what we wanted and [she] made some smarter decisions on the offensive end, which I was happy about.”

Last season Nolan was named Big East Co-Attacker of the Year and was an All-Big East First Team selection.

The UConn team is still relatively young as half of the team is made up of underclassmen, including seven freshmen. In the last six minutes of the game UNH scored four goals, trimming their deficit from eight to four.

“I think we still have to finish a game. The last 10-15 minutes we just made silly decisions and the momentum started to shift to UNH and they started to put the ball away,” coach Woods said. “So thankfully, we had enough cushion to not have it cost us the game but those mental lapses… are going to catch up to us at some point so we need to continue to work on that.”

Looking ahead to next week’s game against UMass, UConn will be focusing on stick work and having more urgency. If UConn doesn’t come out with urgency, UMass will take advantage of their mistakes and make them pay, coach Woods said.

As UConn gains more experience playing in games they are also gaining experience in how to grow as a team.

“We’re four games in, we really want to hit our stride when we get to conference [play] but I think these are great opportunities, it’s just a matter if we learn from them and come together a bit more every day,” coach Woods said.

UConn will play next on Sunday, March, 5 at UMass.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.