The Lego Batman Movie scores big

Move over big time Hollywood franchises, the Lego universe is up and running full steam ahead. The newest installment of the Lego film universe is none other than “The Lego Batman Movie.” Right out of the gate, the film scored big at its opening weekend earning 53 million dollars making it the fourth highest grossing batman film ever made. The film came just 16 million shy of its predecessor: “The Lego Movie,” which grossed a total of 69 million dollars its opening weekend.

“The Lego Batman Movie” is a classic in every sense of the word. It competes with the other Batman films in a way no one ever expected. The film with its fast paced comedy is purely fun and entertaining for all ages. Older Batman fans will notice that nostalgia plays a big role in wooing the audience. The director, Chris McKay, is a major Batman nerd; so any Batman fans out there thinking that this film puts a damper on the Batman franchise is poorly mistaken. Many of DC comic favorites return, even the older batman Adam West, is referred to several times throughout the film.

Besides the plethora of nostalgia that fans can expect from the film, the plot points are something to look forward to as well. Batman and The Joker have a ‘hate’ relationship molded in the form of a ‘love’ relationship. It’s a witty device that will keep your mind trying to make the connections as love sayings are substituted with “I hate you,” and “You had me at shut up.” Robin also makes an appearance when Batman accidentally adopts him. Batman, being extremely lonely, in his massive bat-cave finds it hard to cope with this new addition to Wayne Manor.

As the film rolls on, the Joker gathers a group of villains from the DC universe including the comical (and apparently very real) Condiment King who squirts mustard and ketchup out of the dual blasters he carries. But these villains aren’t enough for the Joker to take over gotham city so he gains access to a maximum security prison esque region called “The Phantom Zone.” Here is where we find distinct characters from other films in the Warner Brothers closet, such as Lord of the Rings’ Sauron, Harry Potter’s Voldemort, King Kong, The Wicked Witch and many others.

Right out of the gate, the film scored big at its opening weekend earning 53 million dollars making it the fourth highest grossing batman film ever made. The film came just 16 million shy of its predecessor: “The Lego Movie." (Brickset/Flickr Creative Commons)

I found that the film takes a bit of a dive at this point. The characters, as much as they are iconic, seemed to make the film drag on. These characters were a lot of fun to watch, but brought the film from Gotham City fun to silly-over the top mayhem. Seeing as this was the Lego’s ‘Batman’ film, this was something I expected to see in a regularly labeled ‘Lego’ film likes its predecessor. Luckily this small blemish didn’t ruin the taste of the entire film.

There is something about the expressions of little plastic people that screams comedy gold, especially when it relates to a topic or series that you love. Warner Brothers has picked up on a franchise that is going to make them millions. Another Lego film is already on its way called “The Lego Ninjago Movie,” releasing later this year. A direct sequel to the first Lego film is in production and Jason Segel is currently writing a film called “The Billion Brick Race” for the franchise. Only time will tell what great topic or series will be the next subject for a Lego film.

Rating: 9.5/10

John Moreno is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at john.moreno@uconn.edu.