Women’s Hockey: Huskies eliminated in Hockey East quarterfinals

The women's hockey team falls to UNH 4-1 at the Freitas Ice Forum on Friday, Feb. 17, 2017. They lost this weekend to Northeastern in the first round of the Hockey East playoffs. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team faced off in a best-of-three series this weekend in the Hockey East quarterfinals. Their seventh-place finish in the conference set them up to face Northeastern at Matthews Arena, and UConn was swept in the first two games, with their season coming to an end in sudden-death overtime.

UConn dropped the first game of the series 6-2 on Friday night. The first period began with evenly-matched play. Both sides kept each other scoreless until NU’s Heather Mottau found the net in the 19th minute on a power play goal. UConn goalie Annie Belanger made an impressive 15 saves in the period.

Period two got off to a quicker start. Less than two minutes in, NU’s Codie Cross scored their second goal of the game. UConn bounced back quickly, scoring a power play goal in the fifth minute off the stick of Theresa Knutson. UConn had nine shots in the period compared to NU’s 11.

NU ran away with the game in the third period. Matti Hartman scored in the second minute, and Kasidy Anderson knocked one in in the seventh. UConn rebounded in the ninth minute to score on a shot from Justine Fredette, making the score 4-2. However, two empty net goals in the last three minutes of the game pushed Northeastern ahead with a final score of 6-2.

UConn battled much harder on Saturday. Northeastern’s Anderson knocked in a power-play goal in the fifth minute, her second of the series. But Knutson was quick to even the score in the eighth. The first period finished 1-1, UConn shooting 10 shots to NU’s 12.

Northeastern hit back in the second period, scoring in the fifth minute. This goal was credited to Mottau, her second of the series. UConn battled back to get a goal in thanks to Nora Maclaine, who scored her first goal of the season in the 17th minute of the period.

The third period would go scoreless and UConn and NU would go into sudden-death overtime. Unfortunately for UConn, in the sixth minute of overtime, NU was the first team to score. Denisa Krizova knocked one in to give Northeastern the win and propel them forward to the Hockey East semi-finals where they will face Boston University. This ended the season for the UConn, who went 14-18-4 overall.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.