Baseball: Huskies drop second series of the season

Following a three game series against the University of Texas, the Huskies sit at a 4-3 record. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

After defeating UMass-Lowell opening weekend 3-1, the UConn men’s baseball team fell to Texas 2-1 in a three games series in Austin.

After losing the opening game 4-1, the Huskies rallied back in game two with a 2-1, but dropped the series finale 9-3.

Consistency at the plate cost the Huskies this weekend. UConn was held to just eight hits in the first two games of the series. In game three the Huskies more than doubled that number with 10 hits.

Wills Montgomerie was able to cancel out the offense's struggles in game two pitching 6.1 shutout innings and striking out 13 batters.  

In game one UConn ace Tim Cate let up two runs in the fourth innings before exiting the game with shoulder spasms.

The Huskies offense showed some signs of life in the seventh inning. With runners on second and third after hits by Zac Susi and Isaac Feldstein and no outs, UConn only came away with one run after a sacrifice fly by Tyler Gnesda. Gnesda hit a shot to right field, that nearly resulted in a three-run home run, but came up just short.

In game two Montgomerie got his second win of the year. After some struggles in the first inning, the junior was able to settle himself and complete a strong outing.

Feldstein once again stepped up for the Huskies at the plate hitting a double in the sixth inning to drive in two runners.  

John Russell completed his second save of the season in game two.

In the series finale, the offense finally picked up but it was too late. Despite posting 10 hits in the contest the Longhorns nine runs were too much to overcome.

Doug Domnarski let up four earned runs in 2.1 innings. Anthony Prato, Susi and Gnesda all registered multi-hit games for UConn. Despite out hitting their opponents the Huskies ultimately dropped the series finale.  

The Huskies return to action when they compete in the Stetson Tournament hosted in DeLand, Florida. There they will take on Western Michigan, Saint Joseph’s and Stetson.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.