Startup Tech Fair offers internship opportunities to students

Students navigate UConn's spring career fair, put on by the Center for Career Development in Gampel Pavilion on Wednesday, March 30. Dozens of employers sent representatives to speak with students about full-time opportunities, internships, and more. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

Students of all majors seeking internships in the technology and startup industry can attend the Start-Up Nation Tech Fair on Tuesday, Feb. 28 in the Rome Ballroom, said student coordinator of the event Yael Holzman Castellands.

“Students should attend the fair because it is a great opportunity to learn about what start up companies really are, and if they would like to become apart of it,” Castellands said. “The fair is great for student entrepreneurs who want to learn more about starting up their own company or organization or working with one.”

The Tech Fair, which is part of a larger organization that aims to bring Israeli startups and students together, has been held at several other schools including Yale, Georgia Tech and Emory University, according to Start-Up Nation’s website.

The event at the University of Connecticut is being sponsored by the School of Business, UConn Global, UConn Hillel and several other UConn organizations, according to the fair’s events page. The fair is open to the public, Castellands said.

“All majors are welcome to the event,” she said. “Students should expect an hour and a half of companies showing off their latest products, learning about what they do and learning about internships they are offering.”

Several different companies will be attending, Castellands said, including EyeControl, recCenter and SportsGuru, according to the Tech Fair’s event page on Facebook. Other companies and businesss through the United States will be offering internships, Castellands said.  

“The internships are being offered primarily by business and engineering companies but there can be something for everyone,” she said. “The companies are offering internships in New York, Washington DC, as well as a few abroad.”

In addition, a panel of several start-up CEOs called ‘Starting and Growing a Business: Challenges and Opportunities’ will be running in the afternoon, according to the fair’s event page.

Students should be prepared to mingle with entrepreneurs and learn about internships, Castellands said.

“Students can prepare like any other career fair by bringing their resumes, and being ready to ask questions and talk to executives and spokespeople of the companies,” she said.

The Start-Up Nation Tech Fair will run from 4-7 p.m. at the Rome Commons Ballroom on Feb. 28, with panels held at 5:30 p.m.

Marlese Lessing is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.