Kappa Sigma charter revoked for conduct violations

Jeffny Pally, 19, was a sophomore from West Hartford. She studied allied health and made her presence known all over campus through involvement in groups far and wide, from her sorority to Community Outreach. (Courtesy/Facebook)

The fraternity Kappa Sigma lost its recognition and housing privileges from the University of Connecticut in early February for conduct violations stemming from incidents this past September and October, according to a sanction letter.

Kappa Sigma was found to be in violation of the UConn Student Code on the grounds of serving, distributing and obtaining alcohol for minors, disruptive behavior and endangering behavior according to a sanction letter Associate Director for Student Affairs Joseph Briody sent to Kappa Sigma informing them of the result of the Student Affairs’ investigation into the conduct of their organization.

Six Kappa Sigma members were recently arrested for providing minors with alcohol, which Jeffny Pally, 19, consumed on the night of her death, according to a state police report used in a recent Daily Campus article

The events that led to the Kappa Sigma suspension were stated as being unrelated to the night of Pally’s death. The suspension stems from two incidents on Sept. 17 and Oct. 23 and took effect Feb. 1, according to the sanction letter.

“Kappa Sigma has no rights and privileges associated with being a registered organization with the University of Connecticut,” Briody wrote in the letter. “Kappa Sigma is prohibited from serving as a University of Connecticut organization in any capacity.”

The national Kappa Sigma office also revoked the UConn group’s charter, UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said.

Kappa Sigma’s loss of recognition as a university organization is in effect through May 5, 2019, at which point they may reapply to become a recognized organization, according to the sanction letter.

“It should be understood that registration and recognition at that time is not guaranteed,” Briody wrote in the letter.

Additionally, Kappa Sigma has also lost its housing in Husky Village until June 30, 2020, according to the sanction letter.

Kappa Sigma has no rights and privileges associated with being a registered organization with the University of Connecticut. Kappa Sigma is prohibited from serving as a University of Connecticut organization in any capacity.
— Associate Director for Student Affairs Joseph Briody, wrote in the letter

Kappa Sigma is also banned from participating in or hosting any events on or off campus during their suspension period.

“During this period of suspension, if it is determined by law enforcement officials or University staff that Kappa Sigma participated in, hosted, held or organized any events that took place on or off campus, whether or not any citations were issued or violations determined, Kappa Sigma will permanently forfeit any ability to reorganize at the University in the future,” Briody wrote in the letter.

If Kappa Sigma is able to successfully reapply to become a recognized UConn organization, they will be placed on a 12-month probationary period.

“During the probationary period, Kappa Sigma’s activities will be closely monitored in an ongoing manner,” Briody wrote in the letter.

If the fraternity violates any UConn policies during this period, the organization will be expelled from the university.

“As noted in Blueprints, expulsion means the ‘permanent separation from the University,” Briody wrote in the letter.

Kappa Sigma was given the chance to appeal these charges on Feb. 8.

Kappa Sigma is in the company of approximately a dozen other Greek organizations that are currently unrecognized by the university, according to a list on UConn’s Greek Life website