Men’s Track and Field: Boston bound, Huskies face first double header

A UConn long jumper competes in the 2016 Husky Invitational on April 16, 2016. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Greg Roy has coach UConn men’s track and field for 32 seasons, but this weekend will be a first for the veteran coach.

“We are competing in our first ever doubleheader this weekend,” Roy said.

The Huskies are set to compete in Harvard’s Crimson Elite Challenge in Boston on Friday before competing in Boston University’s Scarlet B&W Challenge Saturday.

Though the Huskies may be in foreign territory, the season has prepared them for the challenge. Coming off a weekend competing against top competition, including No. 2 Oregon, No. 22 Cornell and UCLA, in the East vs. West Challenge in New York City, UConn is in the heart of its schedule.

In the Crimson Elite Challenge, the Huskies will face off against top competition again in No. 7 Syracuse. Then in the Scarlet B&W Challenge there will be another top team in No. 12 Virginia. UConn’s depth will be tested again in facing top teams in rapid succession. Luckily for the Huskies, they are receiving reinforcements: Trent Beram.

Beram, the reigning AAC Track Athlete of the Year, will be returning after a long absence. The impact of getting back one of the team’s best athletes, once he is back in the swing of things, could be tremendous. Aside from Beram, Roy pointed out some other athletes to watch in this doubleheader.

“We look for continued progress from Seb Castano and Alex Gagne in the weight, while Coach Akanno’s young group of horizontal jumpers continues their baptism by fire,” Roy said.

The Crimson Challenge will start at 2 p.m. Friday at Harvard with weight throwing. Then on Saturday, the B&W meet will start at 11 a.m. with multiple field events.

Kenny Beardsley is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kenneth.beardsley_iii@uconn.edu.