UConn Comm Society seeking submissions for annual public speaking competition

Jacqueline Nappo, a second semester communication major, participates in the annual public speaking competition. (Erika Elechicon/The Daily Campus)

The Communication Society at the University of Connecticut is now accepting submissions for its fourth-annual public speaking competition, which is scheduled for Monday, April 3.

Five undergraduate students will compete for the title of UConn’s best public speaker and more than $400 in awards.

Eligible students must currently be enrolled as an undergraduate at the university. Applicants are required to send a 3-5 minute YouTube video to uccommsociety@gmail.com by noon on Monday, March 20. The topic is: “Examining the role of mass media in the portrayal of current events and how technology has changed the way we receive and process ‘news.’”

Submissions should be focused only on the speaker and their speech, post-production edits, props and other presentation aids are highly discouraged.

The finalists will compete in the competition on April 3, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Student Union Theatre in front of a panel of three judges.

Last year’s panelists included Jenn Bernstein, political reporter and anchor for Fox 61 in Hartford, David Kiner, a former state representative for Connecticut’s 59th District representing Enfield and East Windsor, and UConn alumni Bob Pasquella, who flew out from Chicago to judge the competition.

For more information, email questions to uccommsociety@gmail.com

Angie DeRosa is the life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at angelina.derosa@uconn.edu.  She tweets @theangiederosa.