Women’s Hockey: Huskies take win and a tie in weekend games

The Huskies were defeated by the Vermont Catamounts 4-2 Friday January 27 at Freitas Ice Forum in Storrs.  UConn goals scored by #7 Leah Lum and #61 Briana Colangelo. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team faced off in two away games this weekend. The first took place Friday night against Boston College and ended in a 4-4 tie after overtime. The second game was Sunday against Providence which ended in a 2-1 UConn win.

UConn took an early lead Friday night with three goals in the first period. Catherine Crawley got it started in the sixth minute, with assists from Leah Lum and Briana Colangelo. Less than 30 seconds later, Kayla Mee got one through with assists from Justine Fredette and Nora Maclaine. Then Lum came through in the 14th minute, with assists from Colangelo and Crawley. This was Lum’s 18th goal of the season.

The lead began to slip in the second as BC’s Megan Keller scored in the sixth minute, making the score 3-1. UConn answered in the 14th off the stick of Kelly Harris with assists from Rebecca Lindblad and Fredette. But in the 15th, BC scored again on a power play. Makenna Newkirk would be credited with the goal. BC finished out the period with a goal by Caroline Ross with just over a minute left in the period, making the score 4-3.

BC came out quickly in the third, scoring a goal within two minutes of the period. Caitrin Lonergan would get credit, meaning all eight goals were scored by different players. This 4-4 score would go final as UConn tied BC at Kelley Rink.

The Huskies played again on Sunday at Providence College. The game got off to a slower start, the first period going scoreless. UConn committed a penalty at the end of the period which had the second period starting on a Providence power play, but they did not convert.

Seven minutes into the second period, Crawley would get her second goal of the weekend, thanks to assists from Lum and Mee. Then in the 16th, Reese Maccario would get one through with an assist from Lindblad.

Providence attempted to rally in the third, scoring their first goal in the 17th minute off the stick of Brooke Boquist, but they would fail to score again as the 2-1 score would go final.

UConn’s Annie Belanger was in the net for both games and would rack up a total of 62 saves for the weekend.

The record for the Huskies improves to 13-13-4. They’ll play again next Friday at Alfond Areana to kick off a weekend series against the University of Maine.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.