Cooking with Claire: Prepare now, eat later

Chicken curry wrap with cashews, raisins, and pineapple.  (Claire Galvin/The Daily Campus)

I constantly stalk “mommy cooking blogs” for new recipes that are quick and easy. Though I don’t cook for my family (I don’t even cook for my roommates), the blogs usually have genius ideas for fast meals. One of my favorites are freezer wraps. I’ve made freezer breakfast wraps a few times now but I wanted to find something better for lunch and dinner. The mom blogs came through again. This recipe is a delicious and flavorful on-the-go meal.

CHICKEN CURRY WRAPS WITH CASHEWS, RAISINS AND PINEAPPLE

Ingredients:

Two tablespoons olive oil

Two and a half cups diced onion

One cup cashews, raw

One cup raisins

One cup pineapple

Three-quarters cup cooked and diced boneless chicken breasts

Two cups cooked white long-grain rice

Six teaspoons curry powder

Eight large flour tortillas

Directions:

1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the onion in warmed olive oil. Remove from pan.

2. In same pan place cashews for brief toasting.

3. After about a minute or two add in the raisins and pineapple. Heat until warmed through.

4. In a large mixing bowl mix all ingredients except tortillas until well incorporated.

5. Place mixture in the middle of a tortilla and wrap. Wrap each tortilla with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Freeze.

To Heat:

1. Wrap frozen wrap in a damp paper towel.

2. Microwave for 2-3 minutes until warmed through.

The wraps will last a few months in the freezer, and can be packed in a lunch bag to thaw during the day. It’s a great recipe for quick and healthy meals as the semester workload picks up.

This recipe, adapted from onceamonthmeals.com, was a piece of cake to put together. I will definitely be making these again. Although the ingredients were a bit pricier than I usually hope for, the taste and ease made up for it. The curry was the most expensive component but that can’t be avoided if you are hoping for the Thai/Indian taste. You can use canned pineapple to save some money. I couldn’t find my favorite large tortillas in the grocery store, so I had to buy smaller ones. Bigger tortillas are easier to wrap though, so I will stock up on them the next time I see them.

Seeing how well the rice, chicken and nuts froze and reheated, in the future I will try to adapt this recipe and make more wraps of different styles. I might try Mexican-style with cumin and cayenne pepper or maybe a Mediterranean style wrap. For an hour of prep, I have eight wraps to eat in the following weeks. That’s a recipe I like.

Claire Galvin  is a contributor to The Daily Campus Life section.   He can be reached via email at claire.galvin@uconn.edu.