One Ton Sunday kicks off winter weekend

SUBOG hosts there annual One Ton Sundae ice cream event Friday afternoon in Storrs.  Students line up to fill there buckets with as much ice cream as they would like. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

UConn students crowded the Student Union terrace last Friday in hopes of getting a bucket of ice cream at the highly anticipated annual Winter Weekend event, One Ton Sundae. The event, hosted by SUBOG, was free for seniors and only $1 for all other UConn undergraduates. For this low price, students had the chance to fill a Winter Weekend bucket with their favorite Dairy Bar ice cream.

77 tubs of delicious ice cream were used for One Ton Sundae, with classic flavors like Husky Tracks, Cookies and Cream, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and this year’s Senior Scoop, Berry Happy Husky counting themselves among the many Dairy Bar flavors represented. After their buckets were filled to the brim, students had the option to cover their ice cream in delicious toppings like marshmallows, chocolate sauce and cherries.

The line for One Ton Sundae was bustling with anticipation as students moved closer to the ice cream. Joeanna Novak, a fourth-semester nursing major was excited for her first One Ton Sundae, “I actually came from a regional campus last year, so this is my first year at the Storrs campus. I was really looking forward to this event.” Novak was with a fellow fourth-semester nursing major, Samantha Marquardt, who added that One Ton Sundae was “one of the things to check off the bucket list.”

Novak and Marquardt were not the only students looking forward to One Ton Sundae. Around 11 a.m., the line for the event had wrapped itself all the way around the Union, and had begun to extend down Glenbrook Road. Students began lining up for the event long before it had started, many arriving at the Union terrace before 10:30 a.m. Eighth-semester History major, Hannah Fiducia looks forward to One Ton Sundae every year, stating “we have a tradition where we get to One Ton Sundae two hours before it starts… so we got here [Student Union] around 9:15 a.m. We went outside at ten, we were the second people in line. There was one guy in front of us.” Fiducia didn’t mind waiting for an hour to get her free tub of ice cream “it was 100 percent worth it. This is the best day of my life.” Fiducia filled her bucket with at least five flavors of ice cream, stating that “One of the beautiful things about One Ton Sundae is that all the flavors mix and remelt together, so you never know what you’re gonna eat in each bite.”

For those who didn’t want ice cream, SUBOG also had free cookies and hot chocolate available for attendees and a swag table that was giving away free Winter Weekend memorabilia like shirts, headbands and cups.

Those willing to wait inn the long line in the cold were eventually rewarded with their choice of delicious Dairy Bar ice cream. After One Ton Sundae, many attendees went inside the Union to warm up, attempting to make a dent in their recently acquired bucket of ice cream. Although waiting in line was cold and long, students who attended this year’s One Ton Sundae can now cross one more item off their UConn bucket list.

Lauren Brown is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu.