Women's basketball takes on Cincinnati in search of 98 straight

The UConn women's basketball defeats the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes 96-50 at Gampel Pavilion on Sunday, Feb. 5, 2017. Napheesa Collier lead the huskies with 24 points. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Time and Place: 7 p.m. Tuesday at Fifth Third Arena in Cincinnati, Ohio

Where to Watch: SNY, channel 64 on Storrs TV listings

Last Meeting: UConn won 88-34 last season on Feb. 17, 2016. The Huskies are 16-0 all time against the Bearcats in a series that began in 2006.

UConn’s Last Time Out: 96-50 win over Tulsa at Gampel Pavilion on Feb. 5, 2017

Cincinnati’s Last Time Out: 72-52 loss on the road to USF on Feb. 1, 2017

Projected Starting Lineups: UConn (22-0, 10-0 The American) vs. Cincinnati (14-8, 5-4 the American)

G: Saniya Chong vs. Ana Owens

Chong put together the most well-rounded performance of her career in Sunday’s win over Tulsa, scoring 17 points with seven rebounds, seven assists and no turnovers. She remains tops in the country in assist-to-turnover ratio with a ratio of 4.3 to one. Owens was the only Cincinnati player to hit double-figures in the loss to USF, scoring 11 points and adding eight assists.

G: Kia Nurse vs. Bianca Quisenberry

Nurse is averaging 14.2 points per game in her last five games and is coming off a 14-point performance against Tulsa, further cementing herself as a consistent scoring presence in the UConn offense. Quisenberry is third on the Bearcats in scoring with 10.5 points per game and had six steals against the Bulls on Feb. 1.

G: Katie Lou Samuelson vs. Brandey Tarver

For the first time in 35 games, Samuelson did not hit a three-pointer in the Huskies’ rout of Tulsa. She still finished with 16 points on the day though, a testament to her versatility as a scorer. Tarver posted just four points and one rebound in 29 minutes against USF.

F: Gabby Williams vs. Shanice Johnson

Williams played a season-low 17 minutes against Tulsa, looking frustrated at times but still managing to score 10 points and add six rebounds, six assists and six steals. Williams will have her hands full with Johnson, who does a little bit of everything for the Bearcats, leading the team in points (15.3 per game), rebounds (9.7) and steals (3.04) while shooting 46.4 percent from the floor and team-high 40.5 percent from beyond the arc.

F: Napheesa Collier vs. Chelsea Warren

Collier fell one rebound short of her third-straight double-double in the win over Tulsa with a game high 24 points and nine rebounds. The sophomore currently ranks second in the American behind Samuelson in points per game with 19.3 points per game. Warren has lead Cincinnati in rebounds five times this season and is shooting 55.7 percent from the floor this year.

Talking Points

Shooters Shoot: Katie Lou Samuelson missed all seven of her three-point attempts against Tulsa, breaking a 35-game streak of games with at least one three-pointer for the standout sophomore. She still finished with 16 points on the day on 20 shot attempts, the second highest-total since she took 21 as part of a 28-point performance in UConn’s 88-48 win over SMU on Jan. 14, 2017.

The UConn Connection: Cincinnati head coach Jamelle Elliott was an integral part of the Huskies’ 1995 national championship team and finished her UConn career with 1,387 points and 1,054 rebounds. She’s one of six players in program history with at least 1,000 points and 1,00 rebounds, and spent 12 seasons as an assistant coach for the Huskies before taking over at Cincinnati.

Gone Streaking: Following Sunday’s win over Tulsa, UConn has won 97-straight games to continue building on their NCAA record. They also own the longest road win streak in NCAA history at 35 games and counting.

Dan Madigan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @dmad1433.