Gampel Pavilion roof repairs to begin in mid-May

Interior roof of Gampel Pavilion deteriorates throughout the basketball season.  The University plans to renovate the roof in May. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut will begin repair work to the roof and ceiling of Harry A. Gampel Pavilion in mid-May, with the project expected to be complete in October, the university announced in a press release Tuesday. The $10 million project, which was delayed in Apr. 2016, will extend the expected lifetime of the on-campus arena, which opened in 1990.

The UConn Board of Trustees voted to approve the budget at a group meeting on Jan. 25. The project will remove the roof’s existing interior fabric and insulation, which has begun to tear and flake over the past 28 years. The project will also reseal the exterior of the roof, which has begun to wear off and cause leaks.

The university initially announced its plan to fix the roof in Mar. 2016, in time for the 2016-17 basketball season.

The project is expected to extend Gampel’s lifetime by 10 to 15 years, as well as improve the appearance of the roof’s fraying interior. When the arena opened, the roofing system was considered innovative, and to fix it, each panel of its “triangular network” will need to be replaced individually.

ONLINE ONLY: In the press release announcing the repairs, UConn included a video from their University Planning, Design and Construction Office that highlights the necessary repairs.

Tyler Keating is associate sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering and men’s basketball. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.