Malloy's budget would reduce funding for UConn by 4 percent

Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy delivered his budget address to members of the house and senate inside the Hall of the House at the state Capitol in Hartford, Conn., Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2017. His proposal would result in a 4 percent reduction in UConn's state funding. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)

The University of Connecticut would receive a 4 percent reduction in state funding if the legislature approves the bienniul budget proposed by Gov. Dannel Malloy on Wednesday morning.

The UConn Health Center would face similar reductions at 3.9 percent of its state funding.

“The governor’s budget proposes substantial cuts for both UConn and UConn Health,” UConn President Susan Herbst said, related by spokesperson Stephanie Reitz. “At the same time, the proposed cuts could have been much deeper and we are grateful for every penny the state is able to provide during these difficult budget years. We will have to analyze how damaging the proposed cuts would be for the university.”

The governor’s budget also would eliminate funding for UConn’s Kirklyn M. Scholarship Program, which sends a cohort of five students to receive four years of education in veterinary science.

“This year, we can build on our record of fiscal responsibility,” Malloy said in his address to the Connecticut General Assembly. “To do it, my plan contains $1.36 billion in new spending reductions. These cuts are not made lightly and I know they will include things that people in this chamber strongly support. Let me assure you, they include things that I myself strongly support.”

The town of Mansfield, where UConn is located, would face $2.5 million in cuts to state aid under the governor’s budget. The Hartford XL Center would receive funding for $125 million in renovations.

Christopher McDermott is the news editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.mcdermott@uconn.edu.