SUBOG opens application for Board positions

SUBOG set up a booth on Fairfield Way for an airbrush decorating for backpacks event. Applications for the SUBOG Executive Board are now open. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The Student Union Board of Governors (SUBOG) has opened applications for Executive Board positions for the upcoming 2017-2018 school year.

SUBOG is currently looking to fill five positions: Executive Board President, Vice President of Programming, Vice President of Policy, Vice President of Finance and Vice President of Administration.

Additionally, they are looking for two outreach chairpersons (something like a marketing position), and eight programming positions on the Arts, Comedy, Concert, Film, Lecture, Major Weekends, Special Events and Sports Promo committees.

Applications are open to everyone whether they are already involved with SUBOG or not, current SUBOG President Marissa Carbone said.

“The only eligibility requirement is to be a full-time Storrs-campus student during the Fall of 2017,” Carbone said. “We are looking for people that are really interested in SUBOG, and are really interested in creating programs that the whole student body can be involved in.”

These executive positions require a certain amount of dedication and commitment to the responsibilities of the leadership positions, Carbone said.

“Some of the things that committee chairs would have to do is have five weekly office hours, schedule time for committee meetings, board meetings and supporting other Board members’ events. We just want someone that’s enthusiastic and dedicated to the program and its mission,” Carbone said.

Every position on the Board is reopened each year. Even current position holders must reapply to serve the same position on the Board, Carbone said.

There will be an info-session going into detail about the leadership responsibilities and expectations on Feb. 13 at 4 p.m. in SU 325.

The online application can be found at subog.uconn.edu/apply and must be completed by midnight on Feb. 22. Once the application is received, a SUBOG member of the Selection Committee will schedule an interview with the individual student for Executive positions. All other interviews will be conducted the week of Mar. 6.

Applicants will know before Spring Break if they have a position on SUBOG’s new Board.

Sabrina O’Brien is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at sabrina.o’brien@uconn.edu.