Fire alarms sound at Student Union

Firm alarms went off at the Student Union Wednesday night after a small cooking-related fire broke out at the Panda Express. No injuries were reported. (Marissa Piccolo/The Daily Campus)

Fire alarms sounded at the University of Connecticut’s Student Union on Wednesday night after a small cooking-related fire broke out at the Panda Express, according to university spokesperson Stephanie Reitz.

No injuries were reported, Reitz said in an email.

“(The small cooking-related fire) was extinguished quickly by the actions of area staff who activated the cooking hood’s fire suppression system,” Reitz said in an email.

Reitz said in an email that the fire suppression system’s initiation caused the fire alarms to sound.

“Activation of this system sounded the building's fire alarms and triggered a response from the fire department,” Reitz said in an email. “The fire was contained to the cooking area and was extinguished prior to the arrival of the fire department.”

The fire department’s response upon arrival included ventilating the area, Reitz said in an email.

“Fire department personnel verified that the fire was out and ventilated the area,” Reitz said in an email.

Several groups are currently investigating the occurrence, Reitz said in an email.

“The fire is under investigation by personnel from the UConn Fire Marshal and Building Inspector's offices,” Reitz said in an email.

Reitz said in an email that Panda Express’ re-opening must be approved.

“Panda Express is expected to be closed for a few days until the fire suppression system can be recharged and UConn Environmental Health and Safety's sanitarian approves the re-opening.”


Alexandra Retter is staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at alexandra.retter@uconn.edu.