Huskies continue to break records on and off the court

UConn head coach Geno Auriemma reacts to an official's call in a game against Temple on February 22, 2017 at the XL Center in Hartford. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

The 2016-2017 basketball season has not only been very successful for the undefeated UConn Huskies (29-0, 16-0 the American) in regards to winning and breaking records but SNY and the Geno Auriemma Show have also had a record breaking year due to the Huskies continuing their 104 game winning streak. Due to the fact that the Huskies have played 10 games against ranked opponents, including three of those games in the top five, there have been an outstanding number of games to watch this season for UConn fans.

SNY has scored double digit rating increases in the Hartford-New Haven market across all of its UConn Women’s Basketball programming, which has resulted in the highest total viewership in the area since the 2012-2013 season. That season, UConn went 35-4 and defeated Louisville 93-60 en route to their first of four straight National Championships, while they look to win their fifth straight this year.

Averaging a 6.00 household rating in Hartford-New Haven there has been a 21 percent boost this season versus the 2015-2016 season as SNY has also enjoyed a 7 percent increase compared to the previous four seasons’ average.  Along with the actual games, SNY has also seen a boost in viewership for both the “Connecticut Lottery UConn Women’s Basketball Pre-Game Show” and “People’s United Bank Post Game Show.”

The pre-game show had a 15 percent increase, while the post-game show had a remarkable 34 percent increase. The results are the top performances for the pre-game since 2013-2014 and post-game since 2012-2013, as more fans have tuned in this season to see the new and younger Huskies continue their NCAA record winning streak.

In the New York area, viewership has averaged a 0.42 household rating, which is an 83 percent increase, shattering the previous record. From Feb. 1 to Feb. 25, a five game stretch starting with the road game against Temple and ending with the home game against Memphis, the network delivered its five highest ratings performances of all-time in the New York area. In the final game of that stretch against Memphis, SNY delivered the network’s best rating in the market with a .77 household rating.

SNY’s acclaimed The Geno Auriemma Show, which gives fans an inside look of the Huskies through the eyes of head coach Geno Auriemma, is currently in the midst of its most watched season-to-date series in the program’s five year history. In comparison to last year’s 11 episodes, the first nine this season have gotten a 63 percent bump, with a 60 percent increase over the course of the shows history to date.

Make sure to keep watching the Huskies as they will be competing in the American Athletic Conference tournament this weekend at Mohegan Sun. Also look out for sports editor Dan Madigan and yours truly on SNY’s and ESPN’s coverage of the game, as we cover the team for the Daily Campus.

Matt Kren is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women’s basketball. He can be reached via email at matthew.kren@uconn.edu.