Student Trustee Candidate: Josh Wojtyna

Senator Josh Wojtyna is running for a board of trustee position on a platform focused on three key issues: minimizing the impacts of state budget cuts, increasing advocacy and transparency and committing more of the university’s resources to renewable energy. (Courtesy/Josh Wojtyna)

USG Senator Josh Wojtyna is running to be the next undergraduate representative on the University of Connecticut Board of Trustees. Wojtyna describes himself as a lifelong Husky who will work to minimize the impacts of state funding cuts on UConn’s students.

“The main mutual qualification that all the trustees share is a love and devotion to UConn,” Wojtyna said. “I consider that my main qualification. You have to know the history and where UConn has been to know where it’s going.”

Wojtyna is a sophomore business major. If elected, he would have the opportunity to serve two years on the board.

His platform focuses on three key issues: minimizing the impacts of state budget cuts, increasing advocacy and transparency and committing more of the university’s resources to renewable energy.

He proposed a regular panel for students to talk directly to administrators to increase transparency, plans to travel biweekly to the branch campuses to speak directly with students there and would work with other student organizations (including campus media such as WHUS and The Daily Campus) to better publicize the board’s work.

Students should look at the experience and background of each candidate, not what they’ve promised but what they’ve done.

— Josh Wojtyna

During his freshman year, Wojtyna attended UConn’s Greater Hartford campus and served as the branch’s student body president. Due to high turnover in the student government, Wojtyna’s organization had to restructure and redesign the government’s committees and services.

Prior to that he worked as a student fundraiser for the UConn Foundation, raising money by calling alumni and family of alumni.

Wojtyna grew up in nearby Willington and attended E.O. Smith High School in Storrs, which he says means he’s been around UConn for longer than most of its students.

He considers one of his greatest accomplishments to be convincing 10 of his friends who were undecided about their choice of college to select UConn. He said his strongest qualification was his passion for UConn.

“Students should look at the experience and background of each candidate,” Wojtyna said. “Not what they’ve promised but what they’ve done.”

His favorite Dairy Bar flavor is Husky Tracks.

“Husky Tracks for sure,” Wojtyna said. “It’s the only one I’ve ever tried.”

Christopher McDermott is the news editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.mcdermott@uconn.edu.