TLS closed due to epoxy odor

The UConn Fire Department responds to a fire in a basement laboratory of the Torrey Life Sciences building on Oct. 18, 2016. The building was evacuated today due to odor issues coming from repairs done to the building. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

The Torrey Life Science Building at the University of Connecticut’s Storrs campus was evacuated on Wednesday and classes held in the building were canceled for the rest of the day due to odor issues from repairs made to the building, according to UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz.

A fire alarm at around noon signaled the building occupants to evacuate, said Justin Lawrence, a volunteer at the TLS Greenhouse who was working at the time of evacuation.

“The fire alarm went off and a voice came over the intercom telling us to go to another building,” Lawrence said. “So we packed up our stuff and left.”

Students and staff were evacuated from labs, classrooms and offices. They waited outside TLS and in the adjacent buildings while fire trucks, UConn Facilities and Building Management and police cars were stationed outside. No injuries were reported, Reitz said.

“The evacuation is being done as a precaution…[there is] no active threat to health and safety.” Reitz said. “The adhesive smell came from an epoxy used to make a repair on an air intake handler in the east wing.”

At the time of this publication, it was still being determined when TLS would return to normal operations, Reitz said. All entrances of the building were blocked off by fire department officials or by caution tape.

Class schedules and additional information will be sent out via email and social media as soon as possible, Reitz said.

Marlese Lessing is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.eduShe tweets @marlese_lessing.