USG Comptroller Candidate: Seeyashree Sodani

Seeyashree Sodani, a fourth-semester finance student, is running for the comptroller position in the Undergraduate Student Government. Sodani believes that her work on the USG executive and funding board qualify her for the position. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

Seeyashree Sodani, a fourth-semester finance student, is running for the comptroller position in the Undergraduate Student Government.

Sodani is a member of the executive board for USG, and serves as the director of public relations.

On the financial side, Sodani is involved with the funding board of USG. She serves as a co-Chief Financial Officer to a Tier II organization.

“Because of my experiences, not only do I understand the position of being responsible for student fees, but I also understand the implications of student funding for Tier II organizations,” Sodani said.

Sodani, who is from Farmington, aims to tackle three initiatives if elected. She wants to prioritize Tier II funding, eliminate wasteful spending and bolster accountability with USG.

When asked what she will do differently from outgoing comptroller Rishita Jani’s platform, she said she hopes to address internal spending.

“In order to ensure that funds are distributed efficiently, I want to hold USG to the same standards we do for Tier II organizations,” Sodani said. “I want to focus on regulating internal spending in order to reallocate more money for students.”

Sodani said her knowledge of UConn is greater than competing candidate Dylan Nenadal.

“I have more experience on UConn’s Storrs campus,” Sodani said. “I know what the students want because I’ve served on USG’s cabinet, executive board, funding board and as a CFO of a Tier II organization. I know the impacts of student funding first hand and want to ensure that students have a candidate who will provide the best experience possible for students.”

This past weekend Sodani participated in a student leadership conference at Texas A&M University called “Conference on Student Government Associations.”

“I was chosen with seven other delegates from UConn to represent our university. I networked with student governments all across America and discussed all of our initiatives, structures and lessons learned. Especially in light our political situation, this conference especially helpful in gaining perspectives on key issues our student government work on, such as our support for undocumented students,” Sodani said.

Sodani said she enjoyed her time spent in Texas, and hopes to apply her new knowledge to UConn’s student government.

In conjunction with her main initiatives, Sodani hopes to increase USG’s visibility by instituting office hours for executives and labeling any products that are paid for by USG so students know where their dollars are spent.

“Students should know upon sight where their money is going,” Sodani said. “Through my experience of public relations, I have realized the power of branding an organization.”

Sodani also said she thought transparency is the number one issues that students want addressed.

Sodani’s favorite Dairy Bar ice cream is any flavor at all.

“I have no preference because I eat pretty much anything and everything. I’m an ice cream fiend. If I even hear someone start saying ‘ice…’ I’ll stampede over and try to finesse my way for a cup of ice cream.”

Claire Galvin  is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus.   She can be reached via email at claire.galvin@uconn.edu.