Artist Of The Week: Lorde

The new album is going to be a successor to “Pure Heroine” and will tell a different story. It definitely sounds different, but it invokes a brand new era of Lorde. (Constanza.CH/Flickr Creative Commons)

No one has been quite as elusive as the eccentric, New-Zealand-born singer Lorde, who graced the music scene in 2013 and then went on a brief hiatus. She’s made incredible headway with the release of her newest single “Green Light,” her first single as a solo artist since “Yellow Flicker Beat” back in 2014. Now, she’s back to be our ruler once again with a brand new artistic direction.

In November 2012, 16-year-old Lorde released her debut EP, titled “The Love Club EP,” on the music streaming platform Soundcloud under Universal Music Group (UMG). When the EP gained considerably attention, UMG released it for sales; “The Love Club EP” peaked at No. 2 on the records charts for both New Zealand and Australia.

It wasn’t until June 2013 that Lorde started turning heads. “Royals” was released as the lead single from the EP and subsequently her debut album, “Pure Heroine.” The song catapulted her into the spotlight; “Royals” charted in nine countries overall and peaked at No. 1 in five countries. This feat made history for Lorde, who became the youngest solo artist to have a No. 1 song on the US Charts. “Pure Heroine” was released the following year in November and peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard 200.

Eventually, the 2014 Grammys rolled around. Out of four nominations, Lorde took home two awards for Best Pop Solo Performance and Song of the Year, solidifying her spot in music stardom.

After the Grammys, Lorde fell into a period of quiet for three years. During this time, she curated the soundtrack for the third “Hunger Games” movie, “Mockingjay: Part 1,” and collaborated with DJ duo Disclosure on their 2015 track “Magnets,” which failed to enter the Billboard Hot 100. Aside from these projects, Lorde kept the progress of her second album or any future song releases under wraps.

Fast forward to February 2017: Lorde released an ad with a date and time. Two days before the scheduled date—March 2—Lorde confirmed that she would be releasing a brand new song from her sophomore album, which is titled “Melodrama.”

On March 2, true to her word, Lorde dropped “Green Light” worldwide. Right off the bat, I could tell “Green Light” was a different sound than her debut album. This was Lorde’s intention, however. The new album is going to be a successor to “Pure Heroine” and will tell a different story. It definitely sounds different, but it invokes a brand new era of Lorde. “Green Light” is a breakup anthem, but has an upbeat, electric chorus. This song makes you dance, which is not a strong trait of Lorde’s previous songs.

Lorde is building a novel with her music and we’ve only gotten to see the first chapter of her story. She brought us the tales of an adventurous, headstrong teenager, and now we’re getting to read the next chapter of an independent, passionate woman finding her way in the world. Lorde is a treasure for this generation, and there is no surprise that David Bowie remarked that Lorde was “the future of music.” Her lyricism and style will be artful for years to come. I am here for the whole ride, and I believe that 2017 will be Lorde’s for the taking.

Ryan Amato is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ryan.amato@uconn.edu.