Information on fall extensions for Auriemma, Ollie recently made public

Saniya Chong and Tierney Lawlor celebrated their last game at Gamble against Memphis. Katie Lou Samuelson had 29 points as they defeated Memphis 91-48. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The Daily Campus has obtained the latest contract extensions for head basketball coaches Kevin Ollie and Geno Auriemma after requesting them from the University of Connecticut Thursday morning.

Information about the contracts was released in an article Thursday by Hartford Courant reporter Jeff Jacobs, who was following up on a Feb. 16 report by USA Today, which annually releases a list of college coaches’ salaries.

Jacobs’ report included a number of specific details about the contracts’ nature, which went unannounced by the university for months. Under new athletic director David Benedict, who took over the position at UConn last March, the university has also given contract extensions to men’s hockey coach Mike Cavanaugh, baseball coach Jim Penders and men’s soccer coach Ray Reid.

Both Ollie and Auriemma’s extensions were signed in fall 2016 by the respective coaches, athletic director David Benedict and president Susan Herbst. Auriemma’s original deal was set expire in 2018, but will now expire in 2021, while Ollie’s contract was up in 2019 and now lasts until 2021. Before any bonuses, the two extensions work out to a rough total of $31 million.

Auriemma’s extension continues with a base salary of $400,000 and over $1 million in speaking, consulting and media fees, and doesn’t include usual benefits such as a family membership to Hartford Golf Club, tickets for UConn athletic events and more. Bonuses for Auriemma include two month’s annual salary for winning a national championship and half of one month’s salary for winning one or more “National Coach of the Year” awards.

With Auriemma now 62 years old, information on his eventual retirement is also disclosed in the contract. Should Auriemma retire in good faith with UConn, he is entitled to either one payment of $1 million or paid within 90 days of retirement or a full-time non-tenure track AAUP position within the athletic department for up to five years with a base salary of $400,000.

His contract can be viewed in its entirety below.

CONTRACT

Ollie’s extension also includes a base salary of $400,000, but has public relations, consulting and media fee payments that start at $2.7 million for 2016-17 and escalates to $3.3 million for 2020-21. Like Auriemma and other UConn coaches, he receives a Hartford Golf Club membership, an automobile allowance and tickets to UConn events.

Should Ollie be fired from his position as head coach during the contract, UConn will owe him $600,000. If Ollie chooses to leave UConn for another NCAA Division I school, he or the new school will be responsible for paying UConn. If Ollie were to leave after this season, UConn would receive $500,000. This amount decreases in $100,000 increments until 2020-21, when UConn would receive $100,000 if he left that season to coach at another school.

There is no buyout clause if Ollie were to leave to coach an NBA team. According to Jacobs, this buyout clause was negated when former athletic director Warde Manuel left UConn to become the athletic director at Michigan last year.

Dan Madigan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @dmad1433.