Most anticipated albums of 2017

In this Sept. 23, 2016, file photo, The Edge, from left, Bono and Adam Clayton of the music group U2 perform at the 2016 iHeartRadio Music Festival - Day 1 in Las Vegas. (John Salangsang/AP Exchange)

2016 was an exceptional year when it came to the vast amount of diverse music releases. From the official breakout of Chance the Rapper, to the last words of David Bowie and Leonard Cohen, and everything in-between, including the anxiously awaited returns of Frank Ocean, Beyonce and Rihanna, it was easy to miss out on other great releases along the way. 2017 is sure to pick up where last year left off, already gracing us with albums from The xx, Big Sean and Ed Sheeran. Here is a look at what is ahead and what not to overlook in the upcoming year.

Lorde, “Melodrama”

Release Date: Summer 2017

After announcing her upcoming performances at Coachella and The Governors Ball, along with the release of her single “Green Light,” it seems as though Lorde’s sophomore album is finally approaching. It has been over three years since her mature, 16 year old voice stunned the pop world through the tracks of “Pure Heroine,” leaving fans eager for more. With so much time between albums, it is exciting to wonder how Lorde’s voice and style has physically and methodically evolved, providing her upcoming album “Melodrama” with a large amount of potential. Equipping fans with some excitement, Lorde was quoted as saying “I’ve worked like a dog for a year making this thing great for you guys.” Do not be surprised if Lorde blesses us with the anthems of the summer.

Drake, “More Life”

Release Date: TBA

After going platinum with the mixtape “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” in 2015 and album “Views” in 2016, Drake is looking to continue his stretch of chart-topping hits with the eventual release of “More Life.” Dubbed a “playlist,” Drake has hinted at many features including Bryson Tiller, Young Thug and Jennifer Lopez, via his constant social media teases from inside the studio. However, after releasing a few singles back in the fall, the only fake love being shown has been by Drake himself, who has pushed the playlists release date multiple times now. That being said, there is no reliable timetable for when the 6 God will share this project with listeners, but be sure to tune in when it happens.

Father John Misty, “Pure Comedy”

Release Date: April 7

In 2012, long time alternative solo artist and musician Joshua Tillman released his first album under the sobriquet Father John Misty. Along with album “I Love You, Honeybear” in 2015, Tillman created a critical yet passionate voice that cannot be found amongst other artists. “Pure Comedy” is set to release soon, and after performing singles “Total Entertainment Forever” and “Pure Comedy” on Saturday Night Live just a week ago, it is clear that his sound has not changed a bit. According to “Paste Magazine,” the album is said to “navigate themes of progress, technology, fame, the environment, politics, aging, social media, human nature, human connection and his own role in it.” If 2017 has you feeling a bit rebellious, this will be a must listen.

U2, “Songs Of Experience”

Release Date: TBA

Following up 2014 album “Songs Of Innocence,” “Songs Of Experience” has been complete since the end of 2016 according to guitarist the Edge. However, as a result of the recent election of President Donald Trump, the band chose to postpone their album release in order to reconsider certain songs and make sure that the album truly reflects what they want to say. “Now, as I think you’d agree, the world is a different place,” said the Edge, addressing the reasons behind the push back. U2 would not be themselves if they did not take the time to make sure their music related to the present times, thus this delay is completely characteristic. The album was created in celebration of the 30th anniversary of past album “Joshua Tree,” and is rumored to come along with a large stadium tour. This will be their 14th full length project.

Zac Brown Band, “Welcome Home”

Release Date: May 12

Zac Brown’s classic sound of Georgia roots mixed with island breeze, feel-good beats make it impossible for listeners not to yearn for a day on the beach with a drink in their hand. While many fans criticised the band for implementing some pop beats into tracks such as “Beautiful Drug” and “Tomorrow Never Comes” from 2015 album “Jekyll + Hyde,” many reports have suggested that the band will return to their roots in this upcoming album, explaining the title “Welcome Home.” Fans can rejoice, as this album is sure to provide longtime listeners and new followers with traditional southern rock sounds and of course a large tour to follow. “Welcome Home” will arrive in perfect time to kickstart the summer on a high note.

The Chainsmokers, “Memories... Do Not Open”

Release Date: April 7

If you haven't found yourself euphorically singing lyrics “We ain’t ever getting older” at the top of your lungs at some point in the last six months, you can stop reading now (also, sorry your fall semester was not as lit as everyone else's). Known for popular singles “Roses,” “Don’t Let Me Down” and “Closer,” The Chainsmokers took to Twitter to explain to fans that a full album would be “something different, something more complete.” Weighing the desires of their fan base so consciously, The Chainsmokers have created something to please the people, and show that they are much more than a few catchy singles. Previews “Paris” and “Something Just Like This” featuring Coldplay are available now, with ten more earworms on the way in the near future.

Linkin Park, “One More Light”

Release Date: May 19

With their seventh studio album on the way, frontman Chester Bennington said, “There are songs that don’t specifically talk about situations – they talk about a frame of thinking. To me it tells a story but it’s also revealing as well in a different way – and that feels honest to me.” Deep meanings can be expected to be threaded throughout “One More Light” along with perhaps an alternative sound for Linkin Park. Single “Heavy” featuring Kiiara takes a bit of an unfamiliar pop twist that could potentially leave long time fans upset with the change. However, the ten track list has already been set in stone, and the album has a lot of time left to prove itself to fans.

Kendra Harter is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kendra.harter@uconn.edu.