The only two playlists you need for Spring Break

Ed Sheeran performs at the iHeartRadio Music Awards at the Forum on Sunday, March 5, 2017, in Inglewood, Calif. (Chris Pizzello/AP Exchange)

With Spring Break starting today, one thing is statistically more likely to happen during this week than almost any other week: someone will put the aux cord in your grasp, and you are forced to pick a song on the spot in front of any number of people. If this scenario stresses you out, step into my office.

Here’s a starter kit of songs to pick from if this scenario ever arises. For the sake of simplicity, I’m going to assume every single member of UConn is going to a tropical place next week. But when people go to the beach there are really only two options: partying and relaxing. I can’t recommend a song like Calvin Harris’ “Slide” for a chill beach day because everyone would instantly start dancing and no relaxing would get done. So I’ve compiled two separate playlists for your listening pleasure, let’s begin with the obvious party setting.

Party Playlist

Calvin Harris – “Slide” (feat. Frank Ocean and Migos):

I already mentioned this song because it was a shoe-in for this list. I imagine the idea of this song came into Calvin Harris’ head as something along the lines of, “Hey Calvin, you should release a summer anthem in February so college kids can listen to it on their spring break.” Warning: Ocean’s verse could start a riot, so you should honestly be careful  playing this song in public.

2 Chainz – “Good Drank 2.0” (feat. Gucci Mane, Quavo & The Trap Choir):

Whoever thought to replace the Quavo hook with a choir deserves a Nobel Prize or at least a Medal of Honor. But I love how Quavo is still featured on the song because his random exclamations of “12!” and humming between 2 Chainz lines, still constitute a feature. I think every song made today should have Quavo humming in the background, if not every one, at least 75 percent.

Childish Gambino – “Redbone”

If you don’t like this song, then sit down.

Mungo Jerry – “In the Summertime”

Yeah, this is a good beach song, but I’m using this article as a platform for greatness. If you are reading this article on a smartphone or computer please look up the album cover to this song (also titled “In the Summertime”). If you come across what looks like Mr. Hyde at a Fleetwood Mac concert, you’ve found it. I have no idea how anyone thought this was a normal picture for an album cover. It looks like the last known photo of someone before they drop off the grid and join the circus.

UGK - "Int’l Players Anthem (I Chose You)" (feat. Outkast)

A big time party track around the 1:12 mark. There’s a reason UGK is often spoken in the same breath as Mozart and The Beatles, and this song is the reason. “Int’l Players Anthem” is pure joy. I don’t care if you were just dumped by your girlfriend, fired from your job and shot in the kneecap, if this song comes on you’re gonna go nuts.

Honorable Mentions:

Sam Feldt – “Show Me Love” (feat. Kimberly Anne)[EDX Remix]

D.R.A.M – “Cash Machine”

The Jackson 5 – “I Want You Back”
Mura Masa – “Love$ick” (feat. A$AP Rocky)

Murda Beatz – “Growth” (feat. Offset)

Estelle – “American Boy” (feat. Kanye West)

Chill Playlist

Ed Sheeran – “New Man"

This is a solid song from the new Ed Sheeran album, and you could probably pull this song off at the beach. Depending on the party you find yourself in, it could be a party song, but I am in no way endorsing this song for every party. It could also end in disaster on the aux.

Sza – “Childs Play” (feat. Chance the Rapper)

The rigorous school year can be hectic, and it feels like you are being pulled in a million different directions at every hour of the day. But the beach is the perfect place to unwind, slow down a little bit, and Childs Play is the perfect song for this kind of mood.

Men at Work – “Down Under”

I’ve played this song at a beach in my hometown and the reception usually goes like this. A few hairy eyes at the beginning no doubt, but a couple of seconds later the flute guy shows up, and everyone is fine with it. I’m again using this article as a platform for truly one-of-a-kind stuff. The music video is probably the most bat-sh*t crazy music video in recorded history. Released at the height of the MTV craze, this song is either trying way too hard or way too little with its video. Not a single second of its four-minute run-time makes any sense, which is not surprising seeing as they rhyme “language” with “vegemite sandwich” in the song. The amount of drugs that went into the making of this video is staggering, I didn’t even know there were so many drugs.

2 Chainz – “It’s a Vibe” (feat. Ty Dolla $ign, Trey Songz & Jhené Aiko)

It’s 2 Chainz’s second appearance on this list, and if you have a problem with that: there’s the door – you can see yourself out. This song also has Jhené Aiko on it, so you know it’s all about sex.

Honorable Mentions:

A Tribe Called Quest – “Electric Relaxation”

The Strokes – “Someday”

Rod Stewart – “Maggie May”

Steve Miller Band – “The Joker”

SiR – “New LA”

Solange – “Cranes in the Sky”

Outkast – “SpottieOttieDopaliscious”

Led Zeppelin – “Going to California”

Slum Village – “Fall in Love”

Teddy Craven is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at edward.craven_jr@uconn.edu.