#Lavarballsays read this

In this March 4, 2017, file photo, UCLA guard Lonzo Ball, right, shakes hands with his father LaVar following an NCAA college basketball game against Washington State in Los Angeles. UCLA won 77-68. LaVar Ball says his home was broken into while he was attending a high school game involving two of Lonzo Ball’s brothers. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill, File)

I think it is only fitting to write about Lavar Ball following the 22nd anniversary of Michael Jordan faxing the NBA saying “I’m back” on March 18, 1995. Other than being the father of soon to be lottery pick, Lonzo Ball and high school phenomes, LaMelo and LiAngelo, Lavar is known for his outlandish and idiotic statements, such as “back in my heyday, I would kill Michael Jordan one-on-one.”

The only thing worse than what comes out of Lavar Ball’s mouth is probably his basketball skill, as he averaged 2.2 points per game while playing at Washington State, before transferring to Division II Cal State Los Angeles. Each day it seems like he is in the news for some outlandish comment, as he makes Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless seem like rational human beings. Lavar has taken the concept of alternative facts and made it his own.

There are Reddit threads and compilations of tweets with people making fun of Lavar Ball, by making an outlandish claim and using the hashtag #lavarballsays. It is hard to separate the fake tweets from the real news, as I honestly believe he would say anything to get attention. I understand he loves his sons and believes they are great, but how can anyone take him seriously when he says “To me, Zo is the best player in the world,” before adding “yes, even better than all-stars, #LeBronJames and #RussellWestbrook.”

Lonzo Ball is a good player, playing for the No. 3 seed UCLA and averaging 14.6 points, 6.1 rebounds and 7.6 assists while shooting 55.1 percent from the field. He is slotted to be the second pick overall, behind Markelle Fultz from Washington, which is a travesty, according to Lavar. I think the constant media attention for the father is taking away from Lonzo’s success the team’s great season at UCLA, as it is like the Deflate-gate scandal absorbing media attention or Colin Kaepernick not standing for the national anthem.

The attention should be on the freshman, and more importantly his team, but instead it is in the realm of lunacy, fake news and statements that make you shake your head. Lavar, along with attacking Fultz and MJ, has attacked Charles Barkley, declaring his sons will only play for the Los Angeles Lakers and that his sons deserve a billion dollar shoe deal.

With his Triple B brand he says his sons will be one-and done, which could be a problem as LiAngelo is a three-star recruit and ranked No. 269 in the country and LaMelo is a four-star recruit as a sophomore. Both the younger Ball brothers are scorers, as LaMelo dropped 92 points in a game but both are not good defenders as they often cherry pick on the offensive end. UCLA is built to score and run and gun, but they will have to figure how to manage the Ball brothers being one-and done, as well as their crazy father.

Maybe his sons will be the greatest of all-time and maybe Lavar Ball is a prophet, I could be wrong but I really, really doubt it. I am looking forward to the day when SportsCenter will actually report what happens in the game instead of this off the court nonsense. It’s another facet of March Madness, in which Lavar Ball said “I'm making 5 different brackets, and they'll all be right,” he did not actually say this but honestly who really cares?

Matt Kren is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women’s basketball. He can be reached via email at matthew.kren@uconn.edu.