Women’s Lacrosse: UConn fights off Cal, but loses two

UConn Women's Lacrosse team lost to Boston College on home opener with a final score of 14-11 on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team (3-5, 0-1 Big East) beat Cal but lost to Stanford and Florida over spring break.

The Huskies faced Stanford (6-2, 1-0 Pac-12) on Saturday, March 11 in Stanford and lost 19-14. Junior Grace Nolan led the way for the team with four goals and two assists. Senior Jacqueline Jordan also had an impressive day with four goals and one assist.

Freshman goalkeeper Grace Beshlian had 14 saves in the game, tying her career best.

The Huskies led by four goals with 12:54 remaining. However, the last 10 minutes of the first half, Stanford outscored UConn 6-1 to take a 9-8 lead into halftime. The Huskies were never able to secure the lead after that.

On Tuesday March 14, UConn faced Cal (2-7, 0-2 Pac-12) in Berkeley. The Huskies won 17-8.

Senior Maggie Tripodi and junior Kelsey Catalano both had four goals, while Beshlian saved 12 shots, increasing her double figure save total to three consecutive games.

The closest Cal got to the Huskies was a three-goal deficit.

The last seven minutes is when the Huskies really controlled the game. They scored six unanswered goals to close out the game.

“I think we came together well against Cal and didn't allow any of their runs to stop our momentum or our energy,” UConn head coach Katie Woods said.

On Saturday, March 18, the Huskies played Florida (7-1, 1-0 Big East) at home in the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex in their Big East conference opener. UConn lost the game 20-10.

Jordan, Catalano and sophomore Anna Costello each had two goals in the loss.The closest UConn got to the Gators was within three with 27:26 left to play in the game.

Looking ahead to next week’s game head coach Katie Woods stressed some points of emphasis for her team.

“We have to be smarter with the ball in transition. We really put ourselves in a tough place yesterday [versus Florida] by turning the ball over so much in transition,” Woods said.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.