5 young adult series you need to read if you haven't already

If you are taking a trip to your local library or book store soon, take a stroll down the "young adult" section to check out some of our author's favorites, including "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" and "The Maze Runner." (The City of Toronto/Creative Commons)

Maybe your bookshelf is getting a little dry, or maybe you’re just an avid fan of young adult books, and you’re looking for another series to add to your list—either way, you need something to satisfy your craving. Below are five of the best young adult novels we’ve seen grace the literary world so far:

“Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children” series by Ransom Riggs

“Miss Peregrine’s” is probably one of the longest young adult books you’ll read, but you won’t feel like it’s long. Following his grandfather’s death, Jacob Portman travels to a small Welsh island to reveal a secret his grandfather has been hiding: there, he discovers a school of children with peculiar powers. The plot moves at a quick pace and holds your interest until the last word. Not to mention that over a quarter of the story is made up of real life photographs collected by Riggs, which are creatively woven right into the novel. A movie adaptation of the first book was released in September 2016. This series is definitely one of the more unique ones you’ll come across.

“Uglies” series by Scott Westerfeld

In a world where people are deemed pretty or ugly, Tally Youngblood wants nothing more than to get surgery to become a “Pretty.” After her friend Shay runs away to a rebel camp, the government recruits Tally to turn in her friends in return for her surgery, but she soon learns a chilling secret about the society in which she lives. Westerfeld does a great job at constructing a world that looks at the societal concept of outward beauty. The novel draws you in from the very first line, and you’re left on the edge of your seat—and wondering if you even like Tally or not. If you like dystopian societies and morally charged characters, this series is definitely one to check out.

“The Maze Runner” series by James Dashner

This series is probably a common name by now, as “The Maze Runner” became a film adaptation in 2014, and the series’ second book, “The Scorch Trials,” became a film adaptation in late 2015. Thomas wakes up without any memory in an enclosure called the Glade by the other inhabitants, all of them boys. Then, right after Thomas, a girl shows up, and no more kids are to be delivered to the Glade. Outside of the Glade is a maze, and the answer to the kids’ escape is out there, so they set out to find it. Dashner pulls you in and keeps you gripped throughout the whole novel, and each time you’re left wanting more.

“The Raven Cycle” series by Maggie Stiefvater

Blue was told when she was younger that if she kisses her true love, they will die. After seeing a boy named Gansey in a vision, she crosses paths with a group of boys, known as the Raven Boys, from the local prep school—led by none other than Gansey himself. Blue then gets wrapped up in Gansey’s obsessive hunt for the Welsh king Glendower, and through their adventure they reveal secrets about an underlying mystical catastrophe waiting for them. Stiefvater’s writing style is fun and brings life to her characters, who really steal the show throughout the novel. If you pick this series up, be ready to get hooked.

“An Ember in the Ashes” series by Sabaa Tahir

Nothing can keep your interest more than the recent young adult series, “An Ember in the Ashes.” Laia is a Scholar whose brother is taken by the Martial Empire in the middle of the night. Elias is a Mask, a soldier of the Martial Empire, but wants nothing more than his own freedom. Their two stories intersect as a political uprising begins to boil over from within the walls of Blackcliff, the Empire’s military academy. Full of rich characters and gripping scenes, “An Ember in the Ashes” is one of the best young adult series to date, so don’t miss out!

Ryan Amato is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ryan.amato@uconn.edu.