Allied Health department moving to Koons Hall after summer renovations

The Department of Allied Health Sciences is located in Benjamin Franklin Koons Hall. The department is being totally consolidated into Koons Hall and removed from the Armory. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut’s Allied Health Sciences Department has plans to consolidate the entire department into Benjamin Franklin Koons Hall after the building’s renovation over the upcoming summer break.

Koons Hall was once shared by the Allied Health Sciences and Kinesiology departments. But after the Kinesiology department was consolidated in a different part of campus, Koons was left with more than enough room to house the entire Allied Health Sciences department, according to Allied Health Sciences Department Head Dr. Justin Nash.

All of teaching and research labs, classes and professional training programs will be moved to the Koons building in order to be centralized. However, there will not be much of a change in how the department operates.

“The current plan is, at the end of the semester we have all of our stuff packed up, and we move out for the summer,” Nash said. “And then the plan is to have our space fully renovated and ready to be occupied for the fall semester. So the building will not be accessible to anybody for use during the summer months.”

The Allied Health faculty and programs will be placed in several other buildings around campus during the renovations.

“The students who are working with faculty members who have research space in Hawley [Willis Nichols Hawley Armory], those students will now be able to work in the Koons building,” Nash said.

The most noticeable changes students can expect are more modern classrooms and labs, up-to-date technology and better heating and air conditioning, Nash said.

The lab upgrades will be beneficial for both undergraduate and graduate students. Additionally, the academic advisors, who are currently scattered all around the Koons building, will have a specially-designed advising center so they will be more accessible to Allied Health students, according to Business Services Supervisor Bambi Mroz.

During the summer, Allied Health Sciences classes will be held in different buildings around campus and research will continue in other labs until renovations are completed. By the fall 2017 semester, students will return to a modernized and updated building.

Sabrina O’Brien is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at sabrina.o’brien@uconn.edu.