CT Repertory Theatre reveals its 2017 Nutmeg Summer Series

The Connecticut Repertory Theatre officially announced its 2017 Summer Series, an annual summer event featuring three productions. This summer CRT will present "1776," "Noises Off" and "Disney's Newsies." (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The Connecticut Repertory Theatre (CRT) officially announced its 2017 Nutmeg Summer Series (NSS) to be “1776,” “Noises Off” and a theatrical adaptation of “Disney’s Newsies,” with a Tony Award-winning score by Alan Menken (“Aladdin,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Hercules”) and Jack Feldman.

This season is NSS’s first with Terrence Mann as its artistic director, who will also be directing “1776."

Three-time Tony Award nominee Terrence Mann announces the 2017 Nutmeg Summer Series lineup. Photo courtesy of Connecticut Repertory Theatre.

“‘1776’ and its award-winning script and scores tells an intimate and gripping story of how our forefathers fought to create a nation. A nation that almost didn’t happen,” Mann said in a press release.

“1776,” by Peter Stone and Sherman Edwards, will run from June 1 to 10.

The second show, “Noises Off,” will be directed by former NSS artistic director, Vincent Cardinal. Cardinal comes back to Connecticut to tell the farcical story of a theatre troupe on and off the stage that leads to total chaos the night before the opening of their failing show called “Nothing’s On.”

Former Nutmeg Summer Series artistic director, Vincent Cardinal, returns to Connecticut to direct “Noises Off,” NSS’s second show of its 2017 season. Cardinal is currently The Arthur and Martha Hearron Endowed Professor and Chair of Musical Theatre at the University of Michigan’s school of Music, Theatre and Dance. Photo courtesy of Connecticut Repertory Theatre.

“I am thrilled to return to CRT to work with my talented UConn colleagues on one of the funniest farces of the last 100 years. We are pulling together a company of CRT's favorite comic actors from previous seasons to bring ‘Noises Off’ hysterically to the stage,” Cardinal said. “I am looking forward to sharing a summer of hearty laughs with my friends in Connecticut.”

“Noises Off,” by Michael Frayne, will run from June 15 to 25.

Finishing the season will be “Disney’s Newsies,” a musical about a newsboy strike from 1899. The show is a politically charged story centered on youths concerned with triumphing over social injustices, survival, love and politics. It will be directed by Tony award nominee Christopher d'Amboise. 

“‘Newsies’ is a tour de force musical story about the indomitability of the human spirit. It’s powerful, passionate and full of heart,” said Mann in a press release.

“Disney’s Newsies,” will run from July 6 to 16.

All performances will take place at the Harriet S. Jorgensen theatre located on the University of Connecticut Storrs campus. Tickets will be available starting April 1 at crt.uconn.edu, or by contacting the Box Office at 860-486-2113.

Matthew Gilbert is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.gilbert@uconn.edu.