Drink of the Week: Cucumber gin and tonic

This week's drink of the week is meant to soothe your post-midterm bloating from stress eating. It's a combination Hendrick's Gin, cucumbers and tonic water. (Photo courtesy of sipbitesavour.com)

Warm weather has besieged us, and Spring Break is steadily approaching no matter how many midterms you have to dodge, dive, dip, duck and dodge before the ceasefire. You’re probably a little worried about your indulgent eating lately due to stress, or possibly Fat Tuesday celebrations, and your elusive summer bod in the middle of March. So this week’s drink has all the weapons I contain in my anti-bloating arsenal: cucumbers and strong ratios (just short of Pepto). Hendrik’s Gin is actually made from cucumbers, which are a homeopathic remedy to bloating. Plus the idea of a spirit, like gin, mixed with a carbonated beverage, like tonic, fosters a stronger taste which you will sip slower and avoid added sugars.  Plus the cuke garnish was a big part of my vegetable requirement when I was abroad in Denmark, and I was never healthier.

Ingredients:

-Hendrick’s Gin

-Tonic water

-Cucumbers

-Ice

Directions:

1. Fill your glass with ice

2. Add 1.5 oz. of gin

3. Fill glass to the top with tonic water.

4. Top off  with a few cucumber wheels, or a thick strip peeld from the side. (Even use your spiralizer to make cuke-noodles!)

ENJOY

Francesca Colturi is associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at francesca.colturi@uconn.edu.