Nike releases line of customizable UConn shoes

Some of the potential options for UConn-branded NikeID shoes. (UConn Athletics/Nike)

Want to take your Husky Pride to the next level? You’re in luck.

Yesterday, Nike dropped two different sneakers that will be customizable to include the UConn logo using NIKEiD. Customers will be able to choose from either the Air Force 1 or Dunk model, that come in different styles including low, mid and hi for the Air Force’s and low and hi for the Dunk’s. The shoes also come in a variety of different colorways ranging from UConn home, away and alternate.

The sneakers are available purchase now on Nike.com will be available until April 10.

UConn is one of 13 schools nationally to be included in the NIKEiD premier offering.

Nike typically releases university specific gear around March when college basketball is entering its peak.

“I think they are trying to develop a relationship with the students themselves. They obviously have a relationship with the university that's deep and long. I think they are trying to translate that into actual sales and product,” Matt Dowell, Sports Industry Analyst at The NBD Group, said.

“Every kid that’s got a cool pair of shoes people ask them, ‘where'd you get those,’ what's the story behind them that adds to the sales trend over time?”

In 2009, Nike became the official sponsor of the University of Connecticut in a 10-year $46 million dollar deal, according to Connecticut Sports Law.

The Oregon based sportswear provider has created many UConn based sneakers over the last couple of years. Most recently, Nike gave each member of the women’s basketball team a commemorative package after the team's record breaking 91st straight win. The package included the Kyrie 3 in the "Grey" colorway and a shirt honoring the 91-0 record. Last season, the women’s basketball team received custom KD 8 “Elite” sneakers for tournament season.

These special edition KD 8 "Elite" were given to the UConn women's basketball team for tournament season. (sneakernews.com)

The women’s program was also rewarded with custom KD 8s after the 11th championship and custom Kobe 10s after the 10th championship.

It will be interesting to see how visible the shoes become on campus in the coming months.

"Students are so loyal to their college they want to have things that identify themselves,” Dowell said.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.