Men's Basketball: Strength and conditioning coach Travis Illian no longer with the program

UConn men's basketball head coach Kevin Ollie directs a player during a 74-65 win over Houston on Mar. 10 at the XL Center in Hartford. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Multiple sources have confirmed with The Daily Campus sports section that UConn men’s basketball strength and conditioning coach Travis Illian has been fired after four years with the program.

On Thursday, the university released a statement saying that Illian is leaving UConn to pursue other opportunities. 

“Travis’ knowledge, expertise and friendship have been a tremendous help to our players and coaching staff during his time with the program,” UConn head basketball coach Kevin Ollie said in a release. “We wish him the best of luck as he moves forward in his career.”

Illian was in charge of the team’s in-season and off-season weight training, conditioning and nutrition. He came to Storrs after six years at the University of Alabama, where he worked with primarily the championship-winning gymnastics team, as well as the football team.

The Huskies finished with a 16-17 record this season, including a 9-9 mark in American Athletic Conference play and a season-ending loss to Cincinnati in the semifinal of the conference tournament in Hartford.

Illian was a part of the 2014 Division I National Championship team with the Huskies, after winning gymnastics titles in 2011 and 2012 at Alabama. He has also spent time at TCU and Mississippi State.

Associate Sports Editor Tyler Keating contributed to this article.

Dan Madigan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @dmad1433.