Susan Herbst to hold office hours

UConn's president, Susan Herbst, will hold office hours this Tuesday from 2 to 4 p.m. The purpose is to give students the opportunity to share their ideas, suggestions and questions. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

University of Connecticut president Susan Herbst will hold open office hours Tuesday, March 21 from 2 to 4 p.m. in her Gulley Hall office on campus.

“President Susan Herbst is inviting students to visit her office and share their ideas, suggestions and questions with her at a special session of open office hours,” an email sent out by university spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said.

Reservations for the open office hours are not necessary, but guests are limited to UConn students, the email said.

Students spoke on what they would like to talk to president Herbst about if they choose to attend the office hours.

“I would want to talk to Susan Herbst about UConn’s internships and related resources made available to students,” fourth-semester nutrition major Sonika Komal said. “I know they send out a lot of emails, but I would like to know more, specifically about potential on-campus opportunities.”

Fourth-semester political science and history major Leann McLaren said that she would like to ask Herbst about her true motivation behind accepting the role of president of UConn.

“It seems like university presidents are often very money-motivated and a lot of times people feel like they are turning into CEOs, so I would want to know what her true intentions are in being the president,” McLaren said.

Sixth-semester finance major Gabe Hack said he would question Herbst on her recent salary raises.

“I would ask her why she’s taking salary raises while our tuition is going up and we are eating food such as the blended burger, which in my opinion is not real food,” Hack said.

Reminders about the president’s designated office hours will be on UConn’s social media channels and on the Student Daily Digest, according to the email. Another session will take place in April, with specifics being shared broadly to the student body in coming weeks.

Anyone with questions about the event is invited to call University Communications at 860-486-0871.

Gabriella Debenedictis is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.