11 best things to watch on Netflix right now

A very popular show right now, Shameless, a Showtime series, is in its seventh season. The drama follows the dysfunctional Gallagher family as they struggle with life in the projects of Chicago.  (Facebook/Shameless)

Spring break may have come to an end, but that doesn’t mean our procrastination has to. Spring is officially here, but the weather doesn’t seem to be letting up anytime soon and, with just over six weeks left in the semester, Netflix is providing us with ample viewing material for all our procrastination needs. Whether it’s watching movies to get you in the mood for warmer temperatures (or to reminisce about spring break destinations) or catching up on the most popular titles all your friends are talking about, here’s what you should be watching next on Netflix.

1) Shameless- A very popular show right now, Shameless, a Showtime series, is in its seventh season. The drama follows the dysfunctional Gallagher family as they struggle with life in the projects of Chicago. The family faces drug and alcohol problems, various relationship issues, as well as financial instability. Each child has his or her own quirks, but they are all wildly independent in finding ways to survive and, in sometimes very unusual ways, truly care for each other despite their unreliable parents. The world seems to have an inexplicable interest in the chaos of this show, but there’s no time like the present to hop on the bandwagon and find out why.

2) Grey’s Anatomy- Even though Grey’s Anatomy is currently in season 13, it’s never too late to start. Many are already fans of this medical-drama, following the lives of the interns, surgeons and patients who come through the doors of Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital. While some of the surgical scenes may be a bit difficult to stomach, the romances, scandal and heartbreak that occur outside of the operating room are what have kept fans watching for 12 years now.

3) Iron Fist- A new series by Netflix, the Iron Fist is a Marvel superhero who holds super strength in the palm of his hand, while boasting insane martial arts skills. Although very predictable, a little too mystical and following the same storyline as many other recent superhero shows (rich kid faces near death experience but comes back with superhuman abilities), the show is worth checking out due to its connection with other series, including Jessica Jones, Daredevil and Luke Cage. The intertwining of the characters show the depth of Marvel’s world and foreshadows The Defender’s project they have in the works.

4) High School Musical 1 and 2- What better way to prepare yourself for the Baywatch remake in May than to watch a young Zac Efron singing his heart out on stage. High School Musical 2 also happens to be a fairly classic summer movie, despite its Disney origins and high-school plot, the desire for a memorable summer and romance as well as the anxieties character’s face about the future are still fairly relatable. It’s a great, light-hearted film and, don’t lie, you still remember the words to “Fabulous.” Oh, and did I mention Zac Efron?

5) Pretty Little Liars- Get ready for the show’s finale and the last half of season 7 to air on ABC in April by going back to the beginning with the girls of Rosewood. For many, this mystery series, based on the young-adult novels by Sara Shepard, was very popular during the pre-teen years. The show lost some of its momentum towards the middle of its seven season run when characters and storylines got really jumbled. It seemed like producers were grasping at straws to keep it suspenseful, but lost the interest of fans along the way. However, the first few seasons are worth looking back on in preparation for whatever over-the-top ending they think of for the group and A.

6) Trevor Noah: Afraid of the Dark- The Daily Show host, coming to campus April 1, teamed up with Netflix for a stand-up comedy special. This is Noah’s eighth stand-up special. Others on Netflix include “You Laugh But It’s True” and “African American.” Noah uses his wit and sarcasm to address issues including racism, sexism and colonialism.

7) Staten Island Summer- Very reminiscent of Kristen Stewart and Jesse Eisenberg’s Adventureland, this 2015 coming of age film is narrated by Danny Campbell (Graham Phillips), who tells the story of the most memorable summer of his life. He spends essentially the entirety of his final summer before college working with his friends at the public pool. His central focus, however, is on hook-ups and throwing an unforgettable after-hours staff party. Starring multiple SNL cast members the movie is filled with sarcastic comedy and satirizes many New York stereotypes. Staten Island Summer is not about any epic beach vacation, but is sure to get you looking forward to May.

8) Ferris Bueller’s Day Off- This 80’s classic is the perfect movie if you find yourself missing the relaxation of spring break. Bueller’s (Matthew Broderick) antics will have you wanting to play hookie, just make sure it’s not too close to finals week.

9) Lizzie McGuire Movie- Another oldie but goody, The Lizzie McGuire Movie brings us all back to our childhood. Netflix did us a major favor by adding this Disney favorite back in 2016. Reliving Lizzie’s epic trip to Rome with Gordo and her mistaken identity as an Italian pop-star never gets old and is the perfect way to keep those visions of spring break travel alive.

10) Sing Street- A totally underrated Netflix gem, Sing Street focuses on an Irish teen in 1985 looking to make his name in the music industry. It’s a brilliant coming of age movie about identity, dreams and young love filled with great music and just enough nostalgia to get you to fall in love with this cast of breakout actors.

11) 13 Reasons Why- Although not technically released on Netflix until March 31, 13 Reasons Why is based on the young-adult novel of the same name by Jay Asher. The show follows teenager Clay Jensen in his quest to uncover the story behind his classmate and crush, Hannah, and her decision to end her life. An emotional mystery starring Katherine Langford and Christian Navarro, this 13 episode Netflix adaptation is definitely going to be worth the watch.

Julia Mancini is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at Julia.mancini@uconn.edu.