Bricco Trattoria: A place for fancy dining

Bricco Trattoria, an Italian restaurant, originally was located solely in downtown West Hartford, but has expanded to Glastonbury as well. (Photo courtesy of TripAdvisor)

Looking for fancy dining off-campus? Look no further than Bricco Trattoria, an Italian restaurant with lots of flavor and a great atmosphere. With a somewhat close by location at 124 Hebron Ave. in Glastonbury, CT, this place has great food all over its menu, whether you like pasta, pizza, steak or salad.

I’ve been to Bricco Trattoria a few times now and I’ve also tried out its original location in downtown West Hartford. Every visit has been absolutely lovely, with one caveat: the price. Usually, my family and I go to Bricco for special occasions and I usually don’t have to pay as a result. It’s definitely on the pricey side with most dishes in the $20 range so be prepared to dish out some money.

Despite the price, Bricco is 100 percent worth it. On my most recent experience there this past Saturday, we ordered several appetizers including lamb meatballs, grilled bread with a ricotta spread, and a Caesar salad. Plus, the restaurant serves baskets of freshly baked focaccia bread and olive oil at each table, probably my favorite part of any restaurant if I’m being honest. Afterwards,  of course, I ordered a pasta dish for my entrée because that’s what I try to do at every Italian restaurant.

The meatballs, topped with goat cheese, pine nuts, currants and mint, were mouthwatering. The meatballs themselves were well-cooked and savory, a flavor that combined very well with the slightly sweet flavor of the goat cheese. The goat cheese, along with the pine nuts and currants, added a nice texture to the dish as well.

The pugliese bread was grilled flawlessly, giving it that crispy toast feel without being burnt. The ricotta spread that came with it was blended with sea salt, herbs and honey from a local bee farm. The mix of the cheese and honey, in particular, gave the appetizer a unique spin on traditional toast that I really appreciated

The Caesar salad was among the best I’ve ever had. At that point, I had already eaten plenty of food and was trying to conserve my appetite for the main course so I was expecting to eat just a few bites of the salad. However, a few bites in and I was hooked on the dish. I know it’s just a Caesar salad, so you’re probably thinking, “what can this restaurant do any differently to make it stand out?”

Well, for one thing, it has a perfect drizzle of garlicky Caesar dressing such that it isn’t overpowered by the dressing, while also having just enough so that the salad isn’t too dry. Second, the salad has a proper amount of croutons and grated cheese, which add to the texture and flavor of the dish. Basically, the proportions of the ingredients are all perfect, which made for a really good salad. The whole family agreed with me, too: this Caesar salad is legit.

For my main course, I chose the gigante “scarpariello style” pasta dish, with a sweet sausage and roasted chicken ragu, cubanelle peppers, tomato and stracciatella mozzarella. Let me tell you, this ragu was incredible. The flavors of each ingredient unified in the sauce perfectly. That is especially the case with the stracciatella mozzarella, which has a buttery consistency to it and was bursting with flavor. The pasta itself was cooked al dente, my preference, and was covered in the delightful sauce. The best part of pasta is the sauce that comes with it, and Bricco Trattoria absolutely nailed it with this sauce.

I have to give Bricco Trattoria in Glastonbury 4.5 out of 5 stars. Every visit there is a fantastic experience with flavor in each dish and is the perfect place for people looking to liven up their days with a fancy restaurant a little off-campus. If you’re willing to dish out a few extra dollars, this is absolutely the place for you.

Chris Hanna is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.