Seniors taking portraits for the Nutmeg Yearbook

Nutmeg Publishing is having graduating seniors take their senior portraits through Lauren Studios. There are different packages available to students. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Graduating seniors are currently taking their senior portraits for “The Nutmeg,” the University of Connecticut yearbook created by Nutmeg Publishing.

Earlier in the semester, graduating seniors received an email from Lauren Studios containing a unique client ID to register for a time to take their photos. There are different packages available to students, according to Nutmeg Publishing editor in chief, Amy Bortey.  Students can choose to take a free photo for the yearbook or they can pay for other packages that include other photos they can have for themselves.

Depending on the package selected, the photographer will also supply a cap and gown for the student to use, Bortey said.

According to Bortey, 52 percent of graduating seniors get their portrait taken for The Nutmeg Yearbook. Over the past couple years, Nutmeg Publishing has worked harder to promote senior portraits and get a larger number of seniors to participate.

“Obviously we want that number to be a lot higher, because we want [many] seniors to be featured in the yearbook, especially since they’re going to receive it,” Bortey said.

Bortey said the low number of students that take portraits may have to do with the size of the senior class; UConn’s yearbook will have a lot more students than any high school yearbook.

“I think people feeling really detached is one of the main reasons why people don’t really get their portrait taken,” Bortey said.

Part of student fees go toward the yearbook and graduating undergraduate seniors receive a free copy of their yearbook the fall after their graduation. Bortey said the yearbook is completed over the summer because it includes pictures from graduation and senior portraits are sent to Nutmeg and edited at that point.

To ensure seniors receive a free copy of their yearbook, Bortey stressed the importance of seniors keeping their permanent address updated in the Student Admin system. Nutmeg Publishing gets back many yearbooks because the addresses are not valid, she said.

Bortey encourages all seniors to take their yearbook photos.

“There are a lot of students, but everyone is an important part of UConn,” Bortey said.

Jiawen Du is a finance major at UConn and a graduating senior. She said she has an appointment set up and thinks it’s important for students to take their portraits.

“I think it’s a very important memory for students, they spend four years in college and they graduated successfully,” Du said.

Another graduating senior, allied health major Carly Emery, said she also has an appointment set up.

“Well, mainly my mom really wanted it, so I got it for my mom. But I also think that it’s just kind of good to just reflect on the four years that you’re here,” Emery said.

Emery said it’s important for students to take portraits.

“For the yearbook, you don’t want to have a blank picture there for you, you want to be represented in it,” Emery said.

Bortey shared this sentiment.

“We are students and we are the people that make UConn what it is,” Bortey said.

For students that haven’t taken photos yet, Bortey said there are still opportunities. On Tuesday, March 22 and Wednesday, March 23, Lauren Studios will be taking walk-in appointments at the annual Grad Fair in the UConn Bookstore. They will be in the bookstore’s conference room from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Students can also set up an appointment with Lauren Studios online using their client ID or through Nutmeg Publishing’s website. The last day for seniors to have their portraits taken is April 5.  

“It’s a really easy process so it’s definitely worth doing it,” Bortey said.

Bortey said that students will appreciate it later on even if it doesn’t seem so important now.

“It might not be very valuable to you right now, just because you just graduated from UConn, but down the road, and [many] years later, I think people really go back and they look at it and it’s more special over time,” Bortey said.

Amanda Cabral is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at amanda.cabral@uconn.edu