UConn Football: 2017 UConn Pro Scouting Day preview

Redshirt Senior Bobby Puyol (17) kicks a field goal during the Huskies 20-9 victory over the Cincinnati Bearcats on Oct. 9, 2016 at Rentschler Field. Puyol will participate in Pro Scouting Day. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

The UConn football team will hold Pro Scouting Day for NFL scouts on Wednesday at 9:30 p.m. in the Mark Shenkman Training Center. 12 UConn players are expected to participate, and about 20 to 25 scouts are expected to be in attendance.

The UConn players expected to participate are defensive backs Obi Melifonwu, John Green and Jhavon Williams, wide receivers Noel Thomas and Brian Lemelle, offensive linemen Andreas Knappe and Richard Levy, linebacker Matt Walsh, kicker Bobby Puyol, tight end Tommy Myers and quarterback Garrett Anderson.

The players will begin at 9 a.m. with weigh-ins, before the various tests begin at 9:30 a.m. These will include bench press, vertical jump, 40-yard dash, broad jump, shuttle run, questionnaires and other position-specific drills.

Melifonwu has received media attention for his spectacular performance at the 2017 NFL Scouting Combine, which included the top performance in both the vertical leap and the broad jump. The 6-foot-4, 224-pound safety finished with an 11-foot-9 broad jump, which was six inches behind UConn corner Byron Jones’ world record of 12-foot-3 at the 2015 combine. Jones was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys with the 27th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft.

Obi Melifonwu (20) helps complete a tackle during the Huskies 38-13 loss to Tulane in their last game of the season on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2016 at Rentschler Field. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

Melifonwu led UConn with 118 tackles and four interceptions as a senior last season. He also finished tied for fifth among defensive backs at the combine with a 40-yard dash time of 4.40 seconds.

Thomas also participated at the 2017 NFL Scouting Combine in hopes of drawing attention from NFL teams. The 6-foot-1, 202-pound wide receiver set a single-season school record this past season with 100 receptions, which went for 1,179 yards. Thomas’ 8.3 receptions per game finished fifth in the country.

Thomas was also named the 2016 Connecticut Player of the Year Award by the Walter Camp Football Foundation, which is given annually to the top college football player In the country who played high school in Connecticut.

Other notable Huskies that will participate are Walsh, who finished fourth on the team this past season with 72 tackles, Puyol, who went 13-for-18 on field goals and Knappe, who has drawn praise from scouts for his size.

The UConn football team began spring practice under new head coach Randy Edsall Tuesday at the Shenkman Training Center.

Tyler Keating is associate sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering men’s basketball. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.