Ice Monster and T-Mobile Coming to Storrs Center

Storrs Center continues to grow.  Ice Monster, one of the two stores set to open in downtown Storrs, is a Thai-style hand rolled ice cream store.  The second of the two stores will be a T-mobile.  (Olivia Stenger/ The Daily Campus)

Leases were recently signed for two more businesses to occupy space in downtown Storrs Center: Ice Monster and T-Mobile.

The two companies are expected to open their doors in spring or summer 2017. Ice Monster is expected to open at 34 Wilbur Cross Way, Suite 101. T-Mobile will open at 34 Wilbur Cross Way, Suite 103, according to a press release.

“Ice Monster will offer Thai-style hand rolled ice cream in a variety of flavors, including Key Lime pie (fresh lime and graham crackers), Monkey Business (banana and Nutella), and Ain’t Got No Thai Fo’Dat (Thai iced tea and condensed milk). The shop will also serve natural fruit tea and smoothies,” the press release said.

T-Mobile is a national provider of wireless voice, messaging and data services based in Bellevue, Washington, and is capable of reaching over 308 million Americans where they live, work, and play, according to the company’s official website.

“T-Mobile prides itself on providing customers with the best experience, unlike any other telecommunications in the company in the country, and strives to exceed customers’ expectations when they visit the store,” the press release said.

“We’re excited to welcome these two new businesses to Storrs Center,” said Howard Kaufman, CEO and Principal of Leyland Alliance LLC, the master developer of Storrs Center. “Ice Monster will no doubt be a fun place to try unique and delicious treats and drinks; and T-Mobile will provide a convenient service to current and prospective T-Mobile customers in the Storrs area.”

Leyland Alliance’s Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Monica Quigley, said that part of having a vibrant downtown is having a variety of shops, stores and services, and she feels that Ice Monster and T-Mobile will be right at home in Storrs Center.

“It’s fun to imagine kids and adults of all ages enjoying an ice cream while taking care of one of life’s modern necessities- your mobile phone,” Quigley said.

Ice Monster’s owner, Ling Lin, said although he is involved in a partnership for a similar store called “0 Degree Ice Cream” in Middletown, the Ice Monster he’s opening in Storrs Center will be the first one to open in Connecticut.

“I chose to open my store in Storrs Center because a UConn freshman told me about the location, and luckily there was an opening,” Ling said. “Though our shop is located at a corner in the back we hope that people will learn about it through social media and word of mouth and come.”

Lin said that his ice cream consists entirely of homemade ingredients made in house on a daily basis, and that all of their fruits are fresh.

“We hope that our shop will be a place where families and students can come to relax and enjoy some sweets. We tried to make our ice cream affordable so that everyone can enjoy it. Our set price is $7 per cup for ice cream, and it comes with unlimited toppings,” Lin said.

Ice Monster’s location is currently under renovation, with sights set on opening in late April. He said that Joanne Trinh, a UConn artist, will paint a mural for the store, Lin said.

A Storrs Center AT&T employee who wished to remain anonymous, as his views might not reflect those of AT&T, said that he didn’t see the opening of T-Mobile as an issue for the store.

“I’m confident about the quality of our products, so I don’t see competition being too much of an issue,” he said. “Often times when people switch to another carrier, they end up coming back to AT&T.”

Both businesses are planning on opening in the coming months.

Gabriella Debenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.