Artist Of The Week: Arlissa

Arlissa initially signed to London Records, but eventually signed on to Jay-Z's Roc Nation. Her debut song song is "Hard to Love Somebody."(Photo courtesy of MetroLyrics)

Sometimes you have to turn over a lot of rocks to find gems in the music industry, and it seems one has turned up in the form of 24-year-old singer-songwriter, Arlissa. She has history with labels, but as of now she is killing it on digital platforms such as Soundcloud, Spotify and YouTube. She caught my attention; now, she’s about to catch yours.

Born to German and American parents, Arlissa was raised in London, where she was initially signed to London Records, but then moved on to Jay-Z’s Roc Nation. Her debut song “Hard To Love Somebody” was produced with Nas in 2012 and was featured as a song of the week on BBC Radio 1’s record of the week in November of that same year. In 2013, she was named as an artist to watch.

It wasn’t until March 2013 that Arlissa managed to break into the spotlight. Her first official single “Sticks & Stones” peaked at No. 48 on the UK Singles Charts, and she moved from Roc Nation to Capitol Records UK in April. With the wave finally rolling, Arlissa released a second single, “Into The Light,” which was featured in several ads for Littlewoods, an online retailer based in England.

After that, Arlissa’s album release was delayed, and while the tracklist is still floating around, the unreleased “Battles” is nowhere to be found. From 2013 onwards, Arlissa collabed with DJs on a handful of EDM tracks through 2016.

Late 2016 was when Arlissa made her modest return. On Nov. 3, she uploaded “Devil and the Deep” to her YouTube, Soundcloud and Spotify accounts. With just a piano to back her up, Arlissa diverges completely from her old sound. Her voice is so rich and raw; there is so much power to her and you both see and hear that.

“Hearts Ain’t Gonna Lie” was released on Nov. 25 and this song blew up. The moment you hear this song you will fall in love; I know I instantly did. Arlissa transfixes you, and these original songs show her skill both as a songwriter and an artist. If you are able to appreciate her music, you can feel every emotion she sings with. “Hearts Ain’t Gonna Lie” currently has amassed 1.8 million views on YouTube, 480,000 streams on Soundcloud and 1.1 million streams on Spotify.

For any of you K-Pop fans, Arlissa has also been credited with co-writing the song “Spring Day” by BTS on their brand new re-released album, “You Never Walk Alone.” “Spring Day” has charted in eight countries and hit No. 1 on Korea’s Gaon Music Chart.

As a whole, with her current five originals, her YouTube channel has reached over 4.3 million views. If you want to be blessed with pure talent and beautiful lyricism, then do yourself a favor and head to Arlissa’s various online streaming pages. She is definitely an artist to watch, but don’t blame me if you have a very hard time keeping “Hearts Ain’t Gonna Lie” out of your head.

Spotlight Song: “Hearts Ain’t Gonna Lie”

Ryan Amato is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ryan.amato@uconn.edu.