UConn looks to get first Big East victory over rival Georgetown Saturday

The Huskies fall 15-11 to the Boston College Eagles on Feb. 22, 2017 at Sherman Family Sports Complex after losing the lead in the second half. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

UConn women’s lacrosse play their second conference game at home Saturday, March 25 against Georgetown.

The Huskies played their first conference game at home Saturday, March 18 against No. 3 Florida. Florida cruised by the Huskies with a 20-10 victory. UConn dropped to 3-5 on the season and began Big East conference play with a loss. The Gators extended their winning streak to seven and improved to 7-1 on the season.

Florida’s scoring was led by senior Mollie Stevens and reigning Big East Freshman of the Year Lindsey Ronbeck with five goals and two assists each. Star sister duo, Sydney and Shayna Pirreca, added another three goals and three assists each. Freshman Brianna Harris tallied three goals and two assists.

UConn was led by senior Jacqueline Jordan, junior Kelsey Catalano and sophomore Anna Costello who all tallied two goals each. Junior Grace Nolan added a goal and assist in the effort. Sophomore Brooke Jensen had an impressive six draw controls out of UConn’s 11 total. Freshman goalie Grace Beshlian added nine saves in the loss.

UConn head coach Katie Woods reflected on the loss.

“Florida is a very good team and I think we did some great things against them,” Woods said. Right now, we are our own worst enemy, and we have to get back to basics and be more successful in our transition game.”

Woods talked about what the team needed to do to be successful going forward.

“Right now, we have to focus on us and competing in the moment for 60 minutes. I think we’ve had glimpses of really great lacrosse and we need to continue feeding off those great plays. We definitely need to come out strong and play with our Husky mentality working hard all over the field with the tough and gritty mindset,” Woods said.

Georgetown’s last time out was against Loyola Maryland on Wednesday, March 22. The Hoyas fell behind big early, 8-0, and never recovered, losing 11-7. The Hoyas are 1-0 in Big East play with their lone win against first year program Butler.

Georgetown is led by sophomore midfielder Francesca Whitehurst who has tallied 12 goals, 14 assists and 38 draw controls this season. The Hoyas have various scoring threats. Sophomores Morgan Ryan and Taylor Gebhardt have a combined 35 goals on the season. Junior Georgia Tunney has tallied 16 goals and freshman standout Emily Ehle adds another eight goals. Goalies senior Maddy Fisher and sophomore Haelle Chomo have been splitting time in cage as of late.

UConn looks to get their first conference win over a struggling Georgetown team.

Sophia Ross is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can reached via email at sophia.ross@uconn.edu.