Women’s Lacrosse: Huskies drop home game to Big East rival Georgetown Hoyas

The Women's Lacrosse team loses to the Georgetown Hoyas 14-6 on March 25, 2017 bringing their record to 3-6. Their next game is away against Denver. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team lost to Big East rival Georgetown (4-6, 2-0 Big East) 14-6 on Sunday, March 26, making them 3-6 on the season and 0-2 in the Big East.

After about five scoreless minutes, UConn gained a 2-0 lead with goals from seniors Molly O’Reilly and Jacqueline Jordan. The Hoyas then went on to score two unanswered points until UConn senior Ally Tilley tied the score up at 3-3. Another goal by the Huskies would be called off because of a failed stick check. UConn would be scoreless for the rest of the half and would head into the break, down 6-3.

During halftime, young lacrosse players came onto the field and played scrimmages. The all-female team watched the first half of the game excitedly from the stands.

UConn head coach Katie Woods stressed the importance of young girls having female players to look up to.

“I think it’s extremely important for young girls to have female athletic role models,” Woods said. “Lacrosse is still growing in Connecticut and I’m excited that we can bring some of these young teams and clubs to campus. They look up to our players and I think it’s a great opportunity for our players to see that they’re doing much more than playing the game… they are truly role models for the young players in the stands.”

In the second half, junior Grace Nolan scored a goal for the Huskies to keep the score within three after the Hoyas scored a quick goal to open the half.

UConn senior Emily Giumetti scored on a free position 10 minutes into the second half to advance the score to 5-8 in favor of Georgetown. The rest of the half UConn was outscored 6-1 by the Hoyas and lost the game 14-6.

One aspect of the game that was evident from the start was the physicality. There was a lot of pushing and shoving on the field, as well as hard falls for both sides. Nolan was forced to remain on the bench after receiving her second yellow card with 10 minutes left in the second half.

“I think it was physical from the start and I don’t think the officials did a good job of controlling it,” Woods said. “Either way, we have to be able to focus on our controllables and not let something like the officials, the other team or the weather conditions affect how we compete.”

Next up UConn will face Denver on Sunday, April 2.

I think it was physical from the start and I don’t think the officials did a good job of controlling it.
— Katie Woods

Coach Woods emphasized that UConn will need to play better to be able to defeat Denver.

“I think our connections have to improve in our midfield and offensive third,” Woods said.  “Denver is a good team and they’re going to come at us, so we have to be confident in our abilities and play together in order to find success against Denver.”

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.